Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Daryl_K
Resolver II
Resolver II

Extract multiple names from a SharePoint People Picker field

Starting a new topic since I think my question has changed.

I had a Power BI report which pulled from a SharePoint list. This list had (among other fields) three People Picker fields. Originally configured for one name max these worked fine, and was even used as a filter in some visuals. Now I have changed the People Picker fields to allow up to four names, and it's working fine in SharePoint, BUT...

1. It broke refresh in Power BI. If I remove those columns from query the refresh works again, but not sure this is what I want. Is there a way to configure the column query that works with multiple names stacked into one column? And if so...
  2. Any thoughts on a DAX way to separate said names. Since there's a max of four and the names are delineated by a semicolon it seems like it might be possible.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello. Sorry for delayed response. This is solved, but via none of the entries in this thread. I had to go back to my SharePoint list and my Flow and make structural changes to how the names/addresses are handled and that fixed everything.

As the solution isn't really topic-appropriate to this forum I'll exclude it, but if anyone comes across this with a similar issue and needs an answer don't hesitate to contact me.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Daryl_K ,

Is this problem solved?

If it is solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If not, please let me know.

Best Regards
Icey

Hello. Sorry for delayed response. This is solved, but via none of the entries in this thread. I had to go back to my SharePoint list and my Flow and make structural changes to how the names/addresses are handled and that fixed everything.

As the solution isn't really topic-appropriate to this forum I'll exclude it, but if anyone comes across this with a similar issue and needs an answer don't hesitate to contact me.

Daryl,

I am just trying to do what you orginally asked in the fact i have 3 people picker fields in my sharepoint list which could have multiple entries. how did you get power bi to extract the names of the people?

Hi Daryl,

You have to do this in Power Query M, not DAX. The multivalue fields are now located in FieldValuesAsText, which has to be expanded to get to the individual fields. Once that occurs, there's a number of transformations to perform. I'm working on a blog post on how to do this currently. You can use the Split column transform to separate the values.

Hope this helps!

--Treb

Check out my Power BI blog posts at https://marqueeinsights.com/tag/power-bi/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.