Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extract dates(start of the month) with M-Query

Hello guys, 

I'm new to M-Query. I have been trying to figure out to extract dates from a date using a custom column on PowerBI.

Below is a picture with my problem. 

Thanks alot 

M-query p.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

in Query editor go to Advanced view

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wck/NV9JRMjIwtNAzMAQiOMdYzxjEMVOKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [classes = _t, start_date = _t, end_date = _t, total = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"classes", type text}, {"start_date", type date}, {"end_date", type date}, {"total", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "dates", each List.Distinct(List.Transform(List.Dates([start_date], Duration.Days([end_date]-[start_date]), #duration(1,0,0,0)), each Date.StartOfMonth(_)))),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "new total", each [total]/List.Count([dates])),
    #"Expanded dates" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom1", "dates")
in
    #"Expanded dates"

copy the blue syntax while also replacing the red reference to the one that will be there in your query
you will also have to remove the two bottom rows from your original query

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

add this as a custom column, then expand to rows

{[start_date],Date.StartOfMonth([end_date])}

it will produce the second layout

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, 

but there was a mistake in the second layout. I would like the total to be divided into equal parts, and also that this custom column displays the start of the month. 

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

does it mean just dividing by 2, or if the range would span across say 3 months then it should be expanded into 3 rows, and divided by 3?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes exactly, that if the range spans across 3 months it should be expanded into 3 rows and divided by 3. 

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

try this

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45Wck/NV9JRMjIwtNAzMAQiOMdYzxjEMVOKjQUA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [classes = _t, start_date = _t, end_date = _t, total = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"classes", type text}, {"start_date", type date}, {"end_date", type date}, {"total", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "dates", each List.Distinct(List.Transform(List.Dates([start_date], Duration.Days([end_date]-[start_date]), #duration(1,0,0,0)), each Date.StartOfMonth(_)))),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "new total", each [total]/List.Count([dates])),
in
    #"Expanded dates"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I'm very new to this. How do I use this in my situation, assuming the file has been uploaded to PowerBI

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

in Query editor go to Advanced view

let
in
    #"Expanded dates"

copy the blue syntax while also replacing the red reference to the one that will be there in your query
you will also have to remove the two bottom rows from your original query

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried again and it worked. You're awesome 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks alot. This has worked half way so far , however, it did not divide the "Total" into equal parts. Is there a way, this could be done? Thanks alot again. This is the closest I've gotten to the final goal. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.