Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extract data from PowerBI

Hello,

Is it possible to extract data from PowerBI desktop or web app ?

I import data from PostGre DB, mashing up, create new columns and measure then design a Dashboard.

Some dashboard helop me to find some particular users in my DB, wich i report as table.

Now i need to extract them into a Excel or CSV file to send another entity.

They are no way to do this ?

Thanks,

Alexander.

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes Alexander -

Super easy to get this into excel just publish your BI and choe to access in excel then write cube functions to pull out your data.

Brian_M
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Would this R-scripting tip work for you? 

require(gdata)
write.table(trim(dataset), file=”your filepath & filename.txt”, sep = “\t”, row.names = FALSE)
plot(dataset);

http://www.thebiccountant.com/2015/12/28/how-to-export-data-from-power-bi-and-power-query/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56FV6x8vYyQ

There are some limitations outlined on Imke's Biccountant blog.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the suggestion.   The dashboards are shared with our clients so unfortunately the R-Script would not work in this example.  Since this post l have raised a ticket and the PowerBI support team have confirmed what we are seeing is a bug, they are looking at it just now.

Robert

milliganI3

this is basic functionality and without it diminishes the value of the whole product

@milliganI3 - This has been answered in another message:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Extract-data-from-PowerBI/m-p/13286#M3335

There are two ways of extracting data. However I do beleive the PBI team are working on other ways also.

Giles

An export to Excel button appeared yesterday hidden under the three dots in the top right corner of the report beside the "pin" icon. this exports the current report data to excel. No blog post yet regarding this but there is also now a print dashboard feature as well.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

@kcantor thanks for posting this. I checked over the weekend and the export to excel icon was there. However this morning it seems to have disappeared. Hope it is coming back.

I still have this on my reports.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I did some testing last night. My personal computer has the export feature, however my work computer when logged in through the corporate internet doesnt not have this feature. It appears as though this is a firewall issue. I have created a hotspot with my phone and now my work laptop has the export feature again.

Hi l am having a similar issue with two of our clients.  The symptoms you describe and the workaround are they still happening as you describe?

Thanks

Robert

djnww
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thanks for the tip. They obviously released it by accident. Hoping the Export to Excel button may be release in the next update.

PJR6166

I'm thinking of using Excel [Power Query (2013) or Get & Transform (2016)] to do ETL, then using the Excel file as data source for Power BI.  That way data is still accessible in format that can still be shared.  However, further changes to data structure are not fed back into data model in Excel so it would be a bit clunky.

jameslo30
Advocate III
Advocate III

We as a company want this feature!!!

mrvachon
Regular Visitor

Not sure if you'd want to do this.. The best practice if you plan on using the same merged data set would be to merge it outside of powerbi. Perhaps etl the data into an azure database table... Or better yet a managed data warehouse.

Power bi is great for mashing up data for reporting but it's not the right tool to use if you share data sets.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

There is currently no way of doing that. There are no export capabilities.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Please take a look at the suggestions on https://support.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi?query=export, and add your support for the ones that are most useful for you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.