Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extract all characters EXCEPT the last X amount

Hello All:

After lurking for months I finally felt compelled to ask a question...

I have 10 Columns that include 22 characters towards the end, so I am trying to extract everything except the last 22 characters. I can't use the Transform tab's Extract feature because it only gives options to extract the first x amount of characters. 

I tried to hack it like you can in excel's LEFT/RIGHT functions by using a negative number, but Power BI does not allow that functionality in M Language. 

The way around this I've found is tedious, but I'm afraid it would make my query too bloated.

1) Add 10 new columns, all doing a Text.Reverse() on their values,

2) run the Extract for 22 characters

3) Add another 10 columns to Text.Reverse() to undo the initial reverse. This gives me the end value I wanted.

4) Delete 10 added columns as well as the 10 original columns

I feel like I should be able to do this by transforming the columns instead of adding 20 new ones, but I couldn't figure out how to run the Text.Reverse (Nested inside an If Then Else statement) on multiple columns. I tried writing a statement using Table.TransformColumns instead of TableAddColumn but either it's not possible or I was doing it wrong. 

Is this really the most efficient way to do this?

CC: @Anonymous 

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

there is now the option to extract the N First/Last characters: 

In PowerQuery:  Add column tab > Extract dropdown menu > first or last characters > enter the number of characters to "isolate"

Otherwise you can also: 

In PowerQuery: Split column > by number of characters > enter the number of characters to remove from your column, on the split menu select to split starting from the left or right. 

alexvc
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi there,

This is most efficient way I can think of doing it:

Measure = LEFT(Column, LEN(Column)-22)

Let me know if it works,

Alejandro

ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous -

Are you wanting something like:

2.PNG

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WKs7PTVUoLilNS1MwNDI2MTUzt7A0QGYpxcYCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [col1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"col1", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each Text.Replace([col1],Text.End([col1],22),""))
in
    #"Added Custom"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes! This would half solve the issue... the other part I want is for it to transform the existing column instead of creating a new one.

Thanks!

@Anonymous -

Option 1 is to remove the column that is no longer needed.

Option 2 is to learn more about the functions 🙂

From my solve in a prevous post @ https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/New-column-with-contents-and-complete-with-0-on-left-side/m-p/668962#M321809

Modified to your situation:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WKs7PTVUoLilNS1MwNDI2MTUzt7A0QGYpxcYCAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [col1 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"col1", type text}}),
    Custom1 = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type",each [col1],each Text.Replace([col1],Text.End([col1],22),""),Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"col1"})
in
    Custom1

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

BekahLoSurdo
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @Anonymous,

In a Custom Column, use Text.End:

Text.End("abcd", 2) equals "cd"

Does that help?

Bekah

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, but I think you misunderstood me. I know my question was kind of drawn out so I apologize.

That solution is going to give me the last 22 instead of removing them. Text.End is the function that is used by going to Transform->Last Characters...

Thanks for looking into this

I'm sorry I misunderstood. Try this:

= Text.Start( [Column], Text.Length( [Column] ) - 22 )
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help, I have a feeling this is close, but once again I run into the issue of Power BI not allowing negative values in the Text.Start function Smiley Frustrated

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.