Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SteveBrou
Frequent Visitor

Extract Different Slicers from a Column

I have a table of salary information for the US. There is a lot of information in this table but 2 of the notable columns are labor category and Geography. It is the Geography column where I am running into my hurdle. This column contains Metro Area or State or Region (i.e. "Abilene,TX", "Florida (State)", or "West (Region)". I want to turn this column into 3 different slicers. One slicer would contain Metro Areas, the second States and the third Regions. How do I accomplish this? Do I create a new table using only this column and parse out the selections appropriately or do I parse out the 3 different values into different columns in the original table and then create a table with the DISTINCT values from the newly created columns in the original table? I spent some time trying to parse out the different values and was having a tough time finding a way to do it in a few steps as opposed with replaces row by row. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

@SteveBrou ,

One way is to add three columns with IF in Power Query see code and pics. And as you said you could use Distinct

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

et
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WckzKzEnNS9UJqVCK1YlWcsvJL8pMSVTQCC5JLEnVBIuFpxaXKGgEpaZn5ucBRWIB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Geography = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Geography", type text}}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "State", each if Text.Contains([Geography], "(State)") then [Geography] else ""),
    #"Added Conditional Column1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Conditional Column", "Region", each if Text.Contains([Geography], "(Region)") then [Geography] else ""),
    #"Added Conditional Column2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Conditional Column1", "Metro", each if [State] = "" and [Region] = "" then [Geography] else ""),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Conditional Column2",{{"State", type text}, {"Region", type text}, {"Metro", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Salaries.PNG

Salaries 2.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Nathaniel_C
Super User
Super User

@SteveBrou ,

One way is to add three columns with IF in Power Query see code and pics. And as you said you could use Distinct

If this solves your issues, please mark it as the solution, so that others can find it easily. Kudos are nice too.
Nathaniel

et
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WckzKzEnNS9UJqVCK1YlWcsvJL8pMSVTQCC5JLEnVBIuFpxaXKGgEpaZn5ucBRWIB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Geography = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Geography", type text}}),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "State", each if Text.Contains([Geography], "(State)") then [Geography] else ""),
    #"Added Conditional Column1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Conditional Column", "Region", each if Text.Contains([Geography], "(Region)") then [Geography] else ""),
    #"Added Conditional Column2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Conditional Column1", "Metro", each if [State] = "" and [Region] = "" then [Geography] else ""),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Conditional Column2",{{"State", type text}, {"Region", type text}, {"Metro", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Salaries.PNG

Salaries 2.PNG

Thanks Nathaniel - that did the trick!

Sweet!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

There is a good article around operations in power bI for data cleaning 

https://www.digitalvidya.com/blog/data-cleaning-features-in-power-bi/

One way is you clean in Power BI in three new columns. 

Also, you can explore download this field data. Create a visual and download unique rows. Then clean it outside. Load it back as a table. In case these values do not change fast you can have this a separate table. If these changes fast then merge these back with the original table. 

Just my thoughts.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.