Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extract 2 (or 1) decimal numbers from string

Hi guys, 

I have not been able to solve this.

I have strings of text, which either contain one or two decimal numbers (amounts). I need to extract these numbers and in the case there are 2, add them up. 

Examples:

KO#K7768_PP#3109_EU#6761,95

=6761,95

KO#310027_EU#3700,5
KO#31006_EU#300,5

= 4100,00

KO#31049_EU#7.000,50_PP#31310_EU#1950,00

=8950,50

KO#C98 _PP#31002_EU#2.000,36_EU2#1500,14

=3500,50

I am only interested in the numbers with the decimals. Unfortunately there is not a consistent delimiter (EU#, EU2# or just #) and not always two numbers are present.

Should I use dax or M for this, and what is a viable solution for the long term? The numbers I am interested in always contain two decimal points, but the way they are stored in the string is inconsistent.

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

I can't find the regular in your text, it is hard to extract specific values from your records.
In my opinion, I can use power query formula to extract all numeric string(number code and decimal values) but can't accurate recognize which part you needed.

Maybe you can refer to following blog to replace other characters to extract numeric value:

Keep Only Numbers in Power Query

M query characters list who need to be removed:

clist= List.Transform({65..90,97..122,35,95}, each Character.FromNumber(_))

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply. I managed to extract the first transaction with helper columns:

First trim the string and extract everything after the first EU#.
Then extract everything (the numbers I need) until the first ",".
Then extract the two numbers after that ",".
Concatenate the two in a new column.

The last transaction is always at the end. So it is easy to extract the two numbers (the decimals of the transaction) until the second ","  (e.g. 1000, "23").
Now I only need the body part of the transaction (e.g. "1000", 23). However, there is no consistent delimiter before that number. Is it possible to create a line in which the delimiter you seek is set up as anything except for a number? That would solve my problem.

Hi @Anonymous ,

>>Is it possible to create a line in which the delimiter you seek is set up as anything except for a number? 

AFAIK, power query Split functions still not works on dynamic separator who recognize by its text characters. (auto recognize function will check your records and try to find out similar separators)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.