Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

saraMissBI
Resolver I
Resolver I

External Tools in Power BI Desktop July 2020 update

Hello,

I installed the 2020 July update of Power BI Desktop, but I am not getting the External Tools feature to work as expected. The snapshot below shows the icon for "DAX Studio" grayed out.

saraMissBI_0-1594904149815.png

Any ideas on why I am not able to launch DAX Studio from the External Tools tab, please? I have it disabled in all views (Report, Data, and Model). DAX Studio is installed on my machine. In microsoft docs article about External Tools in Power BI Desktop, they say: "The External Tools ribbon in Power BI Desktop contains buttons for external tools installed on the machine, and registered with Power BI Desktop". (Link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-external-tools#how-to-register-exte...

I have DAX Studio installed on my machine, but I am not sure if I need to set up something in it to make it "registered with Power BI Desktop". I am not sure what I am missing. Could anyone help please?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lmblancoancos
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello saraMissBI

Go to Preview features in Power BI, check "Store datasets using enhanced metadata format", and restart Power BI, that must fix the problem, showing external tools enabled

Regards

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
atif-hafeez
Helper I
Helper I

Keep in mind that saving the report file with this preview feature enabled is a non reversible change. So make a copy of the report before you enable this feature. This is especially important for on-prem report server users. You cannot upload a file with enhanced metadata into the report server since its a preview feature

Hi @atif-hafeez ,

Good point! thank you for your message.

lmblancoancos
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello saraMissBI

Go to Preview features in Power BI, check "Store datasets using enhanced metadata format", and restart Power BI, that must fix the problem, showing external tools enabled

Regards

Hi @lmblancoancos 

Thank you so much for your solution! It is working now 🙂

Best

@lmblancoancos  that fixes the problem. 

Many thanks.

Russ
Helper I
Helper I

Apologies. Have no fix for this, but have the same issue with both Dax Studio and Tabular Editor. Latest versions of all software installed.

Russ_0-1594915874794.png

Hi @Russ ,

Thanks for your reply. Could it be a bug? The feature is in preview, so where can I share my feedback about it? 

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.