Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rodjarman
Frequent Visitor

External Tools - Missing from Ribbon

I've downloaded the July update but am missing the External Tools tab from the ribbon.

Am I missing something or does it have limited availability?

rodjarman_0-1595385586792.png

rodjarman_1-1595385618730.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rodjarman , You need to lastest version of power BI and Latest version One of three tools.

I had an old version of Dax studio, it did not come. I updated Dax studio to the latest version, it came.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-july-2020-feature-summary/#_Launch_externa...

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Crackit_Tech

you must have an external folder inside the Power BI desktop if its missing then you can create it manually 

64-bit installer path 
C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Power BI Desktop\External Tools
now all the external tool installation should be done inside the external tool folder 

if you are using 32bit installer then the path of the folder would be
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Power BI Desktop\External Tools

once its done , external tool will start appearing

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Power BI Desktop (January 2021) Optimised for Reporting Services. I do not have the External Tools option in the menu. What do I need to do?

marcoselias
Advocate V
Advocate V

The accepted solution is correct and here's more information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jScicVBrr0s

However, be aware that if you have installed Power BI Desktop or the external tools in a drive other than the C drive (like I have), you may get an error message saying "Unable to launch external tool - DAX Studio executable not found. Contact the tool author for support". This is because the JSON file that is installed defaults to drive C. I had to manually modify the JSON file to the correct path to get it to work. I'm sure the providers of these external tools will fix this in a future release, but hope this gets you going.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rodjarman , You need to lastest version of power BI and Latest version One of three tools.

I had an old version of Dax studio, it did not come. I updated Dax studio to the latest version, it came.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-july-2020-feature-summary/#_Launch_externa...

Hi, @amitchandak I have latest versions of PBI Desktop and DAX studio, still it External Tool menu is not showing. Am I missing something?

TIA!

I managed to resolve by reinstalling for all accounts on the computer.

Thanks! Have to install for all users in Windows 11 laptop.

hi,

could you provide more details ? what exacly you mean all accounts ? 

as i also can't show up external tools. 

no dax studio installed, just BI desktop and gateways.

thanks 

Thanks, that did the trick. Much appreciated. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.