Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

External Tools Missing From Ribbon

I've downloaded Dax Studio and can successfully connect to pbix files, but there is no dax studio button in pbi, and there isn't an external tools tab on the ribbon at all. Any ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

You don't have external tools in Power Bi Desktop by default, you need to register the the tool in Desktop. Please follow the tutorial:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-external-tools#dax-studio 

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

theDarkPrince
Advocate II
Advocate II

Even though another answer has been accepted, sharing my experience here as well, because this community post shows up in the top in Google Search results.

For me, the problem was exactly the same as you. What solved it is selecting Install for All Users during installtion of DAX Studio, instead of Install Only for Current user.

Hope this helps,

Nachiket

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
theDarkPrince
Advocate II
Advocate II

Even though another answer has been accepted, sharing my experience here as well, because this community post shows up in the top in Google Search results.

For me, the problem was exactly the same as you. What solved it is selecting Install for All Users during installtion of DAX Studio, instead of Install Only for Current user.

Hope this helps,

Nachiket

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

You don't have external tools in Power Bi Desktop by default, you need to register the the tool in Desktop. Please follow the tutorial:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/desktop-external-tools#dax-studio 

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

pranit828
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

I don't think there is any settings for that.

What version of the PBI are you on.

Can you try to update/ reinstall the latest Power BI from
Download Microsoft Power BI Desktop from Official Microsoft Download Center

PBI_SuperUser_Rank@1x.png

Hope it resolves your issue? 
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Appreciate your Kudos, Press the thumbs up button!!
Linkedin Profile
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the latest Feb 2021 version. I restarted, reinstalled, still not there. Dax studio is in excel where you would expect under add ins.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.