Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Expression for Complex Hierarchical Table Merge/Join/Append

Ok, so we have a fact table that is missing records (rows). However, our data is such that we can (I hope!) fill in the missing records using information from the records we do have and extrapolating the related info from a dimensional table.

Here's the scenario:

We have a table of student transcripts (online learning courses). The courses are sometimes arranged in predetermined packages (and some packages may even be nested within other packages). If a student is enrolled in a package, the system only generates a record for the top level of the hierarchy. Records for any nested packages/courses are only created once the learner has begun those courses. Thus, our transcript data is incomplete. (Only when a package is Complete will all of the nested coursework have records). Luckily, the trail of package/course hierarchy is outlined in our Course Library Table.

Here's what some sample data looks like:

Table 1 (Fact Transcipt):

Student ID | Course/Package Name | Type {course, package} | Status {not started, started, complete}

Learner001 | Learning Fundamentals Package | Package | Started

Learner001 | LF: Course 1| Course | Complete

Learner001 | LF: Course 2 | Course | Complete

Learner002 | Learning Fundamentals Package | Package | Complete

Learner002 | LF: Course 1 | Course | Complete

Learner002 | LF: Course 2 | Course | Complete

Learner002 | LF: Course 3 | Course | Complete

Learner003 | Learning Fundamentals Package | Package | Not Started

As you can see, everyone was enrolled in the same package, but they have different records based on their varying degrees of completion. All of the learners should have 4 records because they are all enrolled in the same courses.

Table 2 (Dim Course Library):

Course/Package Name | Type| Child Package/Course Name (null if none)

Learning Fundamentals Package | Package | LF: Course 1

Learning Fundamentals Package | Package | LF: Course 2

Learning Fundamentals Package | Package | LF: Course 3

I need an expression that will look at the Transcript rows and, if that row is a Package and not Complete, then it will know there must be missing records, so check the Library for its sub-packages/courses and generate transcript records for them.

Here's the logic, I just don't know how to write it in DAX, M, etc.:

If the Transcript record is Type equals Package and Status not equal Complete, then:

1. Lookup the Course/Package Name in the Dim Library. Get the Child Package/Course Name.
  2. Check if that Student ID already has a Transcript record of the Child/Package Course. If it does, then return to the beginning of the If statement to now evaluate this Child course/package.
  3. If the Student ID does not have a record of that Child/Package Course, then create a record for that Student ID with that Child/Package Course Name and Status: Not Started.
  4. Loop until no more records can be written.

It seems like this should be possible, though a bit complicated. Anyone want to brew up a pot of coffee and take a crack at this?  

3 REPLIES 3

In my experience, it is better to solve data cleansing and management tasks in tools other than Power BI before or during data load. Personally i would look at solving this in SQL to maintain the full list of records at all time. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Matt. Unfortunately I don't have access to change the source database. I've been continuing to research this and it seems R may be the solution I need to use for rebuilding missing data.

OK, so if this were me I would try to solve it using Power Query on load. I don't know if that is possible.  

To create an analogy, if you don't have access to a Word processor, you could write a 250 page book using Microsoft Excel.  You could probably get the job done this way, but you would create a lot of new problems and pain along the way.  Personally I would not do that and instead I would focus on the real problem, which is not having access to a Word processor.

JMO.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.