Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sanchit
Frequent Visitor

Expression error: The name 'SWITCH' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly.

Hi

I am trying to create a custom column on “Time Column” using Switch. Format of Time Column-"10:30:00 AM".

Desired Output : If Time is between “08:30:00 AM” and “10:30:00 AM" then “Peak Hours” else “Non Peak Hours”.

I have tried three different case :

• SWITCH(TRUE(),

AND([EventTime]>="06:30:00 AM", [EventTime]<="10:30:00 AM"), "Peak Hours",

"Non Peak Hours"

)

Error : Expression error: The name 'SWITCH' wasn't recognized.  Make sure it's spelled correctly

•  SWITCH(TRUE(),

[EventTime]>="06:30:00 AM" && [EventTime]<="10:30:00 AM"," PEAK HOURS",

"NON PEAK HOURS"

)

Error : Token Literal Expected

I converted the Time column into text which changed the time format to “06:30”.

• SWITCH(TRUE(),

AND([#"EventTime - Copy"]>="06:30" ,[#"EventTime - Copy"]<="10:30")," PEAK HOURS",

"NON PEAK HOURS"

)

Error : Expression error: The name 'SWITCH' wasn't recognized.  Make sure it's spelled correctly

Same was the case when i tried with "IF". I am not sure if we can apply Switch case or If on Time Column.

Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ahhhh, that's the problem. Switch is a DAX formula, but you are trying to use it in Power Query, which uses the Power Query Formula Language (PQL)

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Maybe this is a silly question, but are you putting an equal sign first?  It is not in your formulas. Also, your test seems to be a text test, but you say it is a time column.   Try using the time function in place of the text representation of the time. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee634564.aspx

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

@MattAllington  Yes , i used an equal sign , sorry did not copy that. And one more thing i am using Add Custom Column in Edit Queries.

Ahhhh, that's the problem. Switch is a DAX formula, but you are trying to use it in Power Query, which uses the Power Query Formula Language (PQL)

@MattAllington Oh... I did not know that. Thanks for your help. I added a new column in Table Format it worked 🙂

This is what i used :

Column = SWITCH(TRUE(),
AND([EventTime]>=TIMEVALUE("09:30:00 AM"), [EventTime]<=TIMEVALUE("10:00:00 AM")), "Peak Hours",
"Non Peak Hours"
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.