Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kfschaefer
Helper IV
Helper IV

Expression error: The name 'IF' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly.

After numerous hours of researching this issue for 2 days, I am really stumped.

I have tried to create a simple function of either If or Switch and both return the above mentioned error.

I even created a sample based on the example supplied on MSDN for the IF Function, trying to use it both in the Power BI Desktop and/or Power Query for Excel 2013 (32 bit) environments. Without any luck.

I am using the latest download of Power query and PBI,  I just set up my computer in the last week.  Urgently need of help.

Thanks,

Kfs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Karen,

sorry, didn't read your question right. This will be the formula with the added condition:

if [TermDate] <> null then ''Termed" else if ([#"#YearsofService"]>=2) then "2 + Years" else "Less Than 2 Years")

or

if [TermDate] <> "" then ''Termed" else if ([#"#YearsofService"]>=2) then "2 + Years" else "Less Than 2 Years""

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Korryk
Employee
Employee

Ok so I'm a little confused can I note formulate like the following?

=IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-01 (Jul)",1,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-02 (Aug)",2,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-03 (Sep)",3,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-04 (Oct)",4,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-05 (Nov)",5,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-06 (Dec)",6,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-07 (Jan)",7,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-08 (Feb)",8,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-09 (Mar)",9,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-10 (Apr)",10,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-11 (May)",11,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-12 (Jun)",12,"N/A"))))))))))))

kfschaefer
Helper IV
Helper IV

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @kfschaefer,

is as @Sean and @ImkeF said. Take a look at this examples:

Excelguru

Technet

Just remember as @ImkeF said that M is very case sensitive so you have to write:   if (. . .) then (. . .) else (. . .)

#I'M Not An Expert#

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

I think in M you have to use => if .... then ... else...

How should I modify the if then else statement to include another layer:

if(hasonevalue([Term Date]),"Termed" if([#"#YearsofService"]>=2) then "2 + Years" else "Less Than 2 Years")

Could you help with the syntax?

Karen

try this:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Reordered Columns2", "YearsofSvce", each if [YrofSvc] < 2 then 1 else 2)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi Karen,

sorry, didn't read your question right. This will be the formula with the added condition:

if [TermDate] <> null then ''Termed" else if ([#"#YearsofService"]>=2) then "2 + Years" else "Less Than 2 Years")

or

if [TermDate] <> "" then ''Termed" else if ([#"#YearsofService"]>=2) then "2 + Years" else "Less Than 2 Years""

Thanks for all the great input.

K

Exactly as @Sean said. And watch out: M is case sensitive!

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@kfschaefer this is an issue with M

to me it looks like you are mixing up DAX and M the way you reference the column???

But @ImkeF is the M expert - maybe she can help you???

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Post a screenshot...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.