Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kfschaefer
Helper IV
Helper IV

Expression error: The name 'IF' wasn't recognized. Make sure it's spelled correctly.

After numerous hours of researching this issue for 2 days, I am really stumped.

I have tried to create a simple function of either If or Switch and both return the above mentioned error.

I even created a sample based on the example supplied on MSDN for the IF Function, trying to use it both in the Power BI Desktop and/or Power Query for Excel 2013 (32 bit) environments. Without any luck.

I am using the latest download of Power query and PBI,  I just set up my computer in the last week.  Urgently need of help.

Thanks,

Kfs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Karen,

sorry, didn't read your question right. This will be the formula with the added condition:

if [TermDate] <> null then ''Termed" else if ([#"#YearsofService"]>=2) then "2 + Years" else "Less Than 2 Years")

or

if [TermDate] <> "" then ''Termed" else if ([#"#YearsofService"]>=2) then "2 + Years" else "Less Than 2 Years""

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Korryk
Employee
Employee

Ok so I'm a little confused can I note formulate like the following?

=IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-01 (Jul)",1,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-02 (Aug)",2,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-03 (Sep)",3,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-04 (Oct)",4,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-05 (Nov)",5,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-06 (Dec)",6,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-07 (Jan)",7,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-08 (Feb)",8,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-09 (Mar)",9,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-10 (Apr)",10,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-11 (May)",11,IF([SubmitFiscalMonth]="FM-12 (Jun)",12,"N/A"))))))))))))

kfschaefer
Helper IV
Helper IV

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @kfschaefer,

is as @Sean and @ImkeF said. Take a look at this examples:

Excelguru

Technet

Just remember as @ImkeF said that M is very case sensitive so you have to write:   if (. . .) then (. . .) else (. . .)

#I'M Not An Expert#

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

I think in M you have to use => if .... then ... else...

How should I modify the if then else statement to include another layer:

if(hasonevalue([Term Date]),"Termed" if([#"#YearsofService"]>=2) then "2 + Years" else "Less Than 2 Years")

Could you help with the syntax?

Karen

try this:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Reordered Columns2", "YearsofSvce", each if [YrofSvc] < 2 then 1 else 2)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi Karen,

sorry, didn't read your question right. This will be the formula with the added condition:

if [TermDate] <> null then ''Termed" else if ([#"#YearsofService"]>=2) then "2 + Years" else "Less Than 2 Years")

or

if [TermDate] <> "" then ''Termed" else if ([#"#YearsofService"]>=2) then "2 + Years" else "Less Than 2 Years""

Thanks for all the great input.

K

Exactly as @Sean said. And watch out: M is case sensitive!

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@kfschaefer this is an issue with M

to me it looks like you are mixing up DAX and M the way you reference the column???

But @ImkeF is the M expert - maybe she can help you???

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Post a screenshot...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors