Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RossJ
Helper I
Helper I

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type Text. Details: Value= Type=Type

Hi community

I have a Desktop report that calls a web API provided by Tenable, a security vulnerability scanner, to retrieve a list of IT assets and associated vulnerabilities. The report calls one endpoint to get a list of assets, then three other endpoints to append columns for the identified vulnerabilities for each asset. The preview works correctly, but the following error is thrown when applying changes:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: "OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] Web.Contents failed to get contents from [URL] (500): Internal Server Error."

I used the method descriped by Reza Rad (2018) to create two refrences to my original query, one removing error rows and one keeping error rows:

let
    Source = #"Tenable - Original",
    #"Removed Errors" = Table.RemoveRowsWithErrors(Source)
in
    #"Removed Errors"

However, this doesn't prevent the error from occuring, so this method must not move all errors. When I look at my reference where I have kept the error rows, I see the following error:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value null to type Text.
Details:
    Value=
    Type=Type

I worked backwards, and identified the error is being thrown by the #"Expand vulnerability details" step in my query:

let
    #"Get JSON object" = fnGetJsonFromTenable("https://cloud.tenable.com/workbenches/assets?date_range=30&filter.0.quality=eq&filter.0.filter=has_plugin_results&filter.0.value=true"),
    #"Drill down list" = #"Get JSON object"[assets],
    #"Convert to table" = Table.FromList(#"Drill down list", Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expand column" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Convert to table", "Column1",
        {"ipv4", "fqdn", "netbios_name", "operating_system", "has_agent", "id", "last_seen"},
        {"IPv4", "DNS", "NetBIOS", "OS", "Tenable Agent Installed", "Tenable Asset UUID", "Asset Last Seen"}
    ),
    #"Expand IPv4" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expand column", "IPv4"),
    #"Expand DNS" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expand IPv4", "DNS"),
    #"Expand NetBIOS" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expand DNS", "NetBIOS"),
    #"Expand OS" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Expand NetBIOS", "OS"),
    #"Get asset location" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expand OS", "Location", each fnGetAssetTagByName([Tenable Asset UUID], "Location")),
    #"Expand location" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Get asset location", "Location", {"Tag Value"}, {"Location"}),
    #"Get asset vulnerabilities" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expand location", "Vulnerabilities", each fnGetAssetVulnerabilities([Tenable Asset UUID])),
    #"Expand vulnerabilities" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Get asset vulnerabilities", "Vulnerabilities", {"Plugin ID", "Plugin Name", "Plugin Family"}),
    #"Change Plugin ID to text" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expand vulnerabilities",{{"Plugin ID", type text}}),
    #"Get vulnerability details" = Table.AddColumn(#"Change Plugin ID to text", "VulnerabilityDetails", each fnGetAssetVulnerabilityDetails([Tenable Asset UUID], [Plugin ID])),
    #"Expand vulnerability details" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Get vulnerability details", "VulnerabilityDetails", {"Vulnerability First Seen", "Vulnerability Last Seen", "Patch Published", "CVSSv3 Base Score", "CVSSv3 Temporal Score", "CPE", "Exploitable", "Exploit Ease"}),
    #"Change data types" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expand vulnerability details",{{"IPv4", type text}, {"DNS", type text}, {"NetBIOS", type text}, {"OS", type text}, {"Tenable Agent Installed", type logical}, {"Tenable Asset UUID", type text}, {"Asset Last Seen", type datetime}, {"Location", type text}, {"Plugin Name", type text}, {"Plugin Family", type text}, {"Vulnerability First Seen", type datetime}, {"Vulnerability Last Seen", type datetime}, {"Patch Published", type datetime}, {"CVSSv3 Base Score", type number}, {"CVSSv3 Temporal Score", type number}, {"CPE", type text}, {"Exploitable", type logical}, {"Exploit Ease", type text}})

in
    #"Change data types"

Because the preview works correctly, I don't know which row is causing the error, and therefore how to resolve it. I believe the fnGetAssetVulnerabilityDetails custom function called in step #"Get vulnerability details" isn't always returning a valid structure, but I don't know how to fix that. The function is defined as:

let
    fnGetAssetVulnerabilityDetails = (assetId as text, pluginId as text) =>
    let
        JsonObject = fnGetJsonFromTenable("https://cloud.tenable.com/workbenches/assets/" & assetId & "/vulnerabilities/" & pluginId & "/info"),
        ConvertToTable = Record.ToTable(JsonObject),
        DeleteNameColumn = Table.RemoveColumns(ConvertToTable, {"Name"}),
        ExpandValue = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(DeleteNameColumn, "Value",
            {"discovery", "plugin_details", "risk_information", "vulnerability_information"},
            {"discovery", "plugin_details", "risk_information", "vulnerability_information"}
        ),
        ExpandDiscovery = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(ExpandValue, "discovery",
            {"seen_first", "seen_last"},
            {"Vulnerability First Seen", "Vulnerability Last Seen"}
        ),
        ExpandPluginDetails = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(ExpandDiscovery, "plugin_details",
            {"publication_date"},
            {"Patch Published"}
        ),
        ExpandRiskInformation = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(ExpandPluginDetails, "risk_information",
            {"cvss3_base_score", "cvss3_temporal_score"},
            {"CVSSv3 Base Score", "CVSSv3 Temporal Score"}
        ),
        ExpandVulnerabilityInformation = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(ExpandRiskInformation, "vulnerability_information",
            {"cpe", "exploit_available", "exploitability_ease"},
            {"CPE", "Exploitable", "Exploit Ease"}
        ),
        ReplaceNullCpe = Table.TransformColumns(ExpandVulnerabilityInformation, {"CPE", each if _ is null then {""} else _}),
        ExtractCpe = Table.TransformColumns(ReplaceNullCpe, {"CPE", each Text.Combine(List.Transform(_, Text.From), ","), type text})
    in
        ExtractCpe 
in
    fnGetAssetVulnerabilityDetails

For context. the following table provides sample data from the report: 

IPv4NetbiosDNSOSTenable Agent InstalledTenable UUIDAsset Last SeenLocation TagsPlugin IDPlugin NamePlugin FamilyCPESeverityCVSSv3 Base ScoreCVSSv3 Temporal ScoreExploitableExploit EaseVulnerability First SeenVulnerability Last SeenPatch PublishedDate
[Redacted][Redacted][Redacted]Microsoft Windows 10 EnterpriseTRUE[Redacted]2020-04-09T11:58:20.342Z 63155Microsoft Windows Unquoted Service Path EnumerationWindows Medium7.87TRUEExploits are available2019-04-12T15:36:11.283Z2020-04-09T11:58:20.342Z2012-12-05T00:00:00Z28/04/2020

I'd be grateful for any suggestions or advice.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
RossJ
Helper I
Helper I

I managed to work this out. I first thought the null error was being thrown inside the custom function fnGetAssetVulnerabilityDetails, so I tried to sanitise nulls before concatenating the string, but that didn't work. I then thought the null error was being thrown by the function header, so I changed the function declaration from

let fnGetAssetVulnerabilityDetails = (assetId as text, pluginId as text) =>

to

let fnGetAssetVulnerabilityDetails = (assetId as any, pluginId as any) =>

to allow nulls to come in, but that didn't work either.

I then discovered the error was being thrown in my main procedure while calling the function. I don't understand why Power BI wasn't passing null parameters, but added a step to remove the nulls before calling the function.

#"Change Plugin ID data type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expand vulnerabilities",{{"Plugin ID", type text}}),
    #"Replace null Plugin IDs" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Change Plugin ID data type", {"Plugin ID", each if _ is null then "0" else _}),
    #"Get vulnerability details" = Table.AddColumn(#"Replace null Plugin IDs", "VulnerabilityDetails", each fnGetAssetVulnerabilityDetails([Tenable Asset UUID], [Plugin ID])),

I hope this helps someone else.

View solution in original post

RossJ
Helper I
Helper I

I managed to figure this out. I first thought that the null error was being thrown inside the fnGetAssetVulnerabilityDetailscustom function, so I tried to disinfect the nulls before concatenating the string, but that didn't work. So I thought the function header threw a null error, so I changed the declaration of the function

a

to allow nulls, but it didn't work either.

Then I discovered that the error was being generated in my main procedure when calling the function. I don't understand why Power BI wasn't passing null parameters, but added a step to remove nulls before calling the function.

#"Change Plugin ID data type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expand vulnerabilities",{{"Plugin ID", type text}}),
    #"Replace null Plugin IDs" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Change Plugin ID data type", {"Plugin ID", each if _ is null then "0" else _}),
    #"Get vulnerability details" = Table.AddColumn(#"Replace null Plugin IDs", "VulnerabilityDetails", each fnGetAssetVulnerabilityDetails([Tenable Asset UUID], [Plugin ID])),

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Stylebender89

Hi RossJ, can you please share how did you manage to connect to Tenable rest api, with PowerBi in the first place ? What parameters did you use ? Thanks!

Hi Stylebender

I wrote a custom function called fnGetJsonFromTenable:

let
    fnGetJsonFromTenable = (url as text, accessKey as text, secretKey as text) =>
    let
        KeyString = "accessKey=" & accessKey & "; secretKey=" & secretKey & ";",
        Source = Web.Contents(url,
            [
                Headers = [#"X-ApiKeys" = KeyString]
            ]
        ),
        TextString = Text.FromBinary(Source),
        JsonObject = Json.Document(TextString)
    in
        JsonObject
in
    fnGetJsonFromTenable

Then called it like this:

let
   #"Define API URL" = "https://cloud.tenable.com/assets",
   #"Define access key" = "[redacted]",
   #"Define secret key" = "[redacted]",
   #"Get JSON object" = fnGetJsonFromTenable(#"Define API URL", #"Define access key", #"Define secret key"),
   #"Drill down list" = #"Get JSON object"[assets],
   #"Convert to table" = Table.FromList(#"Drill down list", Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
in
   #"Convert to table"

Hope this helps!

Ross

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @RossJ 

I hope you are still active in the community and you can help me with this : I did exactly what you described in your last message but I always get a Time Out

aj1973_0-1666894815336.png

Could it be the size of the DB? if so how can add a filter to your M code to reduce the size?

Thanks

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Salut @aj1973 

It's been two years since I was working on this, so my memory is hazy. I was retrieving 23 160 assets from Tenable and the process was taking a long time, so if you have more assets than that, it's possible that it is timing out.

In the first instance, I suggest you change the request to retrieve a single asset using endpoint https://cloud.tenable.com/workbenches/assets/{asset_id}/info [API doc]. That will elminate network connection timeouts as the problem.

If that proof of concept works, then you have two options: increase the timeout or decrease the payload.

a) Increase the service timeout. I've had a look, and can't see where to increase timeout for webservice calls. There's some discussion here How-to-extend-Power-BI-service-timeout-limit, but that seems to be limited to database connections.

b) Decrease the payload. Tenable allows filters [API doc]. I haven't used them, but I believe you could filter by an attribute to reduce the number of records returned. For example, retrieve assets with IP address starting with 192.168.1.x, and then iterate that from 1 to 255. I haven't tried this and my PowerBI skills are limited, so I can't suggest how to do this in a loop.

Bonne chance.

Ross

Hi Ross
Thank you very much for your answer , it really helped , it got me closer to a solution.

The issue I'm facing right now, after I run the 2nd function, I get an error: "Access to the resource is forbidden"

If I set the authentification to anything else except Anonymous , I get the following errror : 
"The 'X-ApiKeys' header is only supported when connecting anonymously"

Your help on this one is much appreciated !

RossJ
Helper I
Helper I

I managed to figure this out. I first thought that the null error was being thrown inside the fnGetAssetVulnerabilityDetailscustom function, so I tried to disinfect the nulls before concatenating the string, but that didn't work. So I thought the function header threw a null error, so I changed the declaration of the function

a

to allow nulls, but it didn't work either.

Then I discovered that the error was being generated in my main procedure when calling the function. I don't understand why Power BI wasn't passing null parameters, but added a step to remove nulls before calling the function.

RossJ
Helper I
Helper I

I managed to work this out. I first thought the null error was being thrown inside the custom function fnGetAssetVulnerabilityDetails, so I tried to sanitise nulls before concatenating the string, but that didn't work. I then thought the null error was being thrown by the function header, so I changed the function declaration from

to

to allow nulls to come in, but that didn't work either.

I then discovered the error was being thrown in my main procedure while calling the function. I don't understand why Power BI wasn't passing null parameters, but added a step to remove the nulls before calling the function.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.