Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jannahds
Regular Visitor

Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type Record to type Text.

I know others have had this problem, however I've been unable to follow directions elsewhere, so I'm going to selfishly ask for more help here...

I'm importing web data into Power BI via an API.  It comes in JSON structure.

What I've done:

1) Click on Get Data

2) Web data

3) Put in my url and authorization token

4) So it brings up my JSON data as a LIST of RECORDS

But when I click on convert "to Table", and select semicolon as delimiter, it gives this error:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type Record to type Text.
Details:
Value=[Record]
Type=[Type]

So, within the record, there are a number of different columns.  Many of the columns hold integer or string data.  But a few of the columns hold other "LIST" or "RECORD" types.

I am not used to dealing with JSON data and I'm newish to Power BI, so if you're able to help me figure out how to do this in the Power Query, I'd be really greatful.  Thanks!

Janna

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jannahds ,

Please try to do the below steps to get the table:

1. Right select List and select To Table (leave the delimiter as None)

Convert to TableConvert to Table

2. Select the column split icon in the Column1 header. Select OK

ExpandExpand

I just updated your report file with the above steps,  you can get it from this link. In addition, you can review this documentation to get more details about how to expand a list of records in a query.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jannahds can help but it will be easier if you can share pbix file with data and can look into the transformation otherwise it is a bit hard to provide a solution.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Thanks for your help @parry2k 

I've put the pbix file here, if you can make sense of it:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q9LjPH7mHi0Ll7SK4xNNKwNxjENQAuTF/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

@jannahds unfortunately I cannot do anything because PQ requires credentials to look at the JSON data. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi, can you let me know what that means? or what credentials are needed? 

Thanks!

Hi @jannahds ,

Please try to do the below steps to get the table:

1. Right select List and select To Table (leave the delimiter as None)

Convert to TableConvert to Table

2. Select the column split icon in the Column1 header. Select OK

ExpandExpand

I just updated your report file with the above steps,  you can get it from this link. In addition, you can review this documentation to get more details about how to expand a list of records in a query.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank You!! I have spent 1.5 days trying to figure this out, i also was trying to use comma as a delimiter at the "To Table stage". 

Perfect - thank you so much.  I had been using "semicolon" as the delimiter, as I've been used to using a .csv file of the data which uses semicolons, and I think that's where I was getting confused.

I now have it working.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.