Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LCP

Exporting to Powerpoint / getting Power BI Pro features to work

I have been all around the houses on this one so I really hope someone here can help.  I have been using Power BI free version for a few weeks and three days ago I purchased a subscription to Power BI Pro.  I did this primarily because I need to be able to export static visuals to use in client reports, and there is no way that I could find to do that in the free version.  I also wanted a couple of other Pro features.

I have been unable to get access to any of the Pro features on Power BI desktop.  My client data is confidential, so I can't use it in the cloud and need to do this work locally.  I do not have the option to export to PowerPoint and the option to "Copy Visual" is greyed out and doesn't work.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled Power BI Desktop.  I am not a developer; I just need to use the product to do analysis and visualisation of data locally. 

I have run Microsoft and they have been unable to help me.  The option to put in a support ticket doesn't work; it just redirects me to the fairly useless virtual assistant. 

My Office 365 account is personal; my Power BI subscription is registered to my company (sole trader).  I don't know why this should matter, but apparently it does and I have no idea how to resolve that problem.  Microsoft were similarly unhelpful with that.

Can anyone here help me with this problem?  If not, I am going to have to spend a fortune on Tableau, which I would rather avoid doing.  But at least it works. 

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can no longer export to PowerPoint on the Power BI desktop. The only remaining export option is PDF. 

You need to push your dataset to a workspace at the minimum.  No need to share your report with anyone. But in the workspace you can export your report to PPT.

Another option is to use the REST API, but that also requires the dataset to be in the workspace.

Thank you for your reply - I really appreciate you taking the time.  As I said, my client data is highly confidential and I cannot use it in the cloud for security reasons.  So neither of these solutions will work for me. 

Looks like Tableau wins again *sigh*.  Believe me, I would rather they didn't.

My next challenge will be working out how to cancel my Power BI subscription. 

Thanks again

Exporting to PDF is not an option for you? Worst case you could load the generated PDF into Powerpoint?

Not really - my experience is that going from PDF visuals to Word (which is my ultimate goal) usually involves degraded visuals.  I need to be able to create the visuals in Power BI Desktop and ideally copy and paste them directly into Word or alternatively export to PowerPoint so I can do the copy and paste from there (not ideal, but workable).  I also want to be able to use other Pro features in Desktop, like grouping category elements, and these are also not accessible in Desktop.  I can't upload my data to the cloud to access these features which means Power BI is not adequate for my needs.  And, to be honest, the nightmarish process I had to go through just to find this out has put me off Microsoft products for life. 

Thanks again for your response.

Hi @LCP ,

Sorry for that Power BI Desktop doesn’t support export to PPT.

If you just want to show the visual, there is no need for interaction, you can refer to the last answer in the following post.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/export-power-BI-desktop-reports-to-power-point-without/td-p...

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, perhaps you can submit the requirement to ideas and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner : https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.