Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

patri0t82
Post Patron
Post Patron

Exporting as PDF Shrinks Random Page

Hi, in the August update, Print to PDF was made available. 

My report pages are set up in Letter format, for printing the document. Unfortunately, when I export as PDF, at least one page is shrunk, as if zoomed out.

If I'm selected on the first worksheet when I export to PDF, the second page is shrunk. If I'm selected on the second worksheet, the first page is shrunk.

18 REPLIES 18
Srijit23G

My workaround to this issue was navigate to a different page and come back. Using a timer this is the only way I could work this.

Any other suggestions would help.

Srijit.

svenn

I'm liking the new Export to PDF feature but am also experiencing the 'random shrinking page' issue, and also the 'random page truncation' issue. Hoping this will be fixed soon as it can be frustrating regenerating an 8 page report multiple times until all pages render correctly.

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @patri0t82,

By my test with the Power BI Desktop Version: 2.61.5192.541 64-bit (August 2018), everything works as expected.

Capture.PNG

Do you have this issue for all your report or the single one?

Please check if all of your pages with the same size.

If you still have this issue, please share a dummy pbix file which can reproduce the issue, so that we can help further investigate on it? You can upload it to OneDrive or Dropbox and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.)

In addition, you could have a tests with my attachment, check if you could Export to PDF with it in your environment successfully.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you so much for your reply, and sending the test file. Your file exported properly here, and when I tried my file again this morning, it appeared to work fine (after having restarted my computer, incidentally). I'm not sure if it will happen again. If it does I'll try to get a dummy workbook ready.

Hi @patri0t82,

It is glad that you have solved this problem. It may be a temporary error. 

Please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Is there any way to get support directly from Microsoft regarding this?

Hi @patri0t82,

Sorry for the delay.

By my tests, we only have this issue for the max size for Text box and shapes when the page size is Letter.

I have reported this issue internally. CRI: 80703747. Please wait for some time, product team is working on this problem and it would be fixed later.

Will update here once I get any information. 

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Hi Cherry,

Just wondering if this issue has been fixed or if not, what the ETA is?  I also have random pages shrinking when exporting to pdf and it's really annoying

Thanks

JP

Hi @JPHoney,

Sorry for any inconvenience.

The issue seems that printing kicks in faster than the page finishing loading. When there are visuals with queries, that seems to give enough time to load all the report elements. This is a another effect of not having an async update() API. PG are looking if a delay would be a good enough solution.

If the issue is fixed, I will update here.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Hi @v-piga-msft,

Any news about that?

Thank you!

Cherry, thank you so much for the response, we'll be eagerly awaiting your response. This is a bit of a deal-breaker, at the moment, if you can believe it.

Hi, there, I have similar problem here. 

There are 10 pages in my report, they are all duplicated from the first page, the only difference is different filters were applied to them. when I export it to PDF, all odd pages worked fine but all even pages shrunk... All pages are in regular 16:9 size. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Hi All, 

I also have this problem with random pages not exporting correctly. I haven't had any problems with reports of 5-6 pages, but we have a few that are 20 to 40 pages. With those reports there are usually 8-10 pages that are not exporting correctly. 

It is completely random - 10 pages are the exact same design (duplicated pages in PBI) and 3 or 4 of them will randomly not export correctly. My case it's not really shrunk, it's more zoomed-in so you miss the edges of the whole report page.

I really hope you can find a solution as this is really important for one of our customers!

Regards, 

Matt

I've taken a picture comparing how it should export (left), and what it actually looks like (right). My apologies for the excessive blur.blurred.jpg

Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

from my experience (not PowerBI related, but surprisingly consistent across different apps) the way export to pdf is working is often dependant on the settings of the default printer, as it tries to apply the technical margin of the printer. Have you tried changing that & see if print looks the same?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

I have wondered that myself, but where the problem is inconsistent, and changes depending on the page I'm currently viewing in Power BI, I just don't think it's the case in this instance.

Hi again, unfortunately when I went to print the report today, the same problem happened on multiple pages. I tried re-exporting the document you sent, and of course it exports properly.

I took my document and removed all the content, and simply put the same size box on each page. When I export, you'll see the resulting PDF. It's erratic in behaviour.

I've got the two files stored here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10kRiKMmZxLIdG0jlfDqUF4oZJwt9PzPE

Is any news about this issue? It returns in June-2022

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.