Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exporting Excel data model to Power BI

Hi, I have a question about maintaining data models in Excel and Power BI. I have a data model that my team and I built in Excel. I know there is an option in Power BI Desktop to import Excel workbook contents, which will import the entire data model, but this creates another copy of it. Since we are constantly updating the model in Excel, it would be nice to have the Power BI report point to that Excel model and update whenever we add a new measure or column so that we don't have to recreate it. 

I know in Excel you can export the data model to Power BI service, and then import it from the service into Desktop. However, it seems I have to re-export the data model to service every time I make a change (or else the changes don't show up when I refresh). Does anyone know of a better method to avoid having to maintain two data models? Any help is appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I tried that and it seems to work. Thanks Xi Jin! 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xjiin-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous,

As I know, both import Excel workbook contents and export the data model to Power BI service cannot update data synchronously.

To achieve your requirement, I think you can try to upload your excel file to SharePoint. And use OneDrive to refresh. Then make Power BI connect to the file on SharePoint.

Thanks,
Xi Jin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I tried that and it seems to work. Thanks Xi Jin! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.