Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Exporting Dashboard (PPT, Excel, .csv)

As the administrator of our Power BI experience (and a newbie), there seems to be a confusing use case that I cannot get my head wrapped around.

When I pin dashboards and share them with others, I want them to have the ability to export the data to Excel or PowerPoint.  This capability does not seem available to them, and I don't understand why.

When I am in the Desktop application, I have the ability to export - but for many of our users they will simple be consumers of dashboards only.  There are no elipses in the "upper right" cornner of the tile????

export.PNG

In the desktop software, why can I only Export (to .csv) (see below screenshot)

desktop.PNG

How can I give our users the ability to export to PPT and/or Excel and/or .csv - from a dashboard view?

Any links, or specific steps/instructions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @irnm8dn,

>>There are no elipses in the "upper right" cornner of the tile????

It seems like you use the "pin live page" function to pin these visuals to dashboard. If you use the "pin live page mode", these child tiles right-top option will be disabled. You can export the child tiles at report level.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I am able to export data from a dashboard tile within a dashboard that is shared with me.  Perhaps it has to do with the settings for the users in the workspace or at the tenant level.  Have you gone to the admin portal to investigate the settings?

As for you last question, the ability to export to PPT or excel:

The service has the ability to export to PPT.  If you go to the REPORT and not the dashboard, under "File" menu you will see it.  It is a preview feature so if you don't see it, don't worry, you just need to turn on preview features under settings.

There is also the Analyze in Excel option, but this just creates a connection between a power pivot data model and the data model in the service.  If you want to work with the raw data you need to export the csv.

However, with all that said, I will point out that PBI is a visualization tool, and the service is for collaboration.  It is not meant to be a file sharing service.  If you want users to be able to work with the data, I recommend using an R script in the query editor to write the data to a csv in a shared folder, that way you can let users work with the data separately from the PBI experience.  Be cautious here though as this may lead to fragmented data marts and not "one version of the truth".

Hi.  Can you be more specific about this?  I only see settings when I go to the dashboards that I own.  It is isn't there for things that were shared with me (dashboards or reports). 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.