Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Exported Excel from report - how to convert URL links to from text to URL links?

Hello everyone,

I have this table in a Power BI report. One field is the URL link to a Salesforce Opportunity. Clicking on the said URL link works fine in Power BI (it opens the link in a new tab).

However, when I export the table, the URL link is a text one. The only way to make it 'clickable' is by selecting it and, in the Formula Bar above, click Enter. It's terrible to replicate it to thousands of lines.

My question is, is there a way to transform the text into an URL link automatically?

Big thanks,

Alice

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I found this solution: create a new column and =HYPERLINK([@URL],"URL"). It works, but ideally I'd like the users to not have to build it themselves...

View solution in original post

Hi @AliceW 

Please make sure Web URL are the data category not the data type in Power BI. Your Url column are in text type.

2.png

I think when you export your data from Power BI to excel, it won't keep the data category in Power BI. So you will find the data in Excel is text type. I suggest you to create a new column by code in excel to convert the column to hyprelink.

=HYPERLINK(A1)

Result is as below.

1.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

I found this solution: create a new column and =HYPERLINK([@URL],"URL"). It works, but ideally I'd like the users to not have to build it themselves...

Hi @AliceW 

Please make sure Web URL are the data category not the data type in Power BI. Your Url column are in text type.

2.png

I think when you export your data from Power BI to excel, it won't keep the data category in Power BI. So you will find the data in Excel is text type. I suggest you to create a new column by code in excel to convert the column to hyprelink.

=HYPERLINK(A1)

Result is as below.

1.png

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

AliceW
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thanks, Rico, the Data category is set to URL in Power BI, and the link works perfectly.

Yes, the hyperlink formula in Excel seems to be the only solution. Perhaps Power BI will provide a simpler way in the future (fingers crossed).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.