Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cmcnamee
Advocate I
Advocate I

Export to PDF from Service not respecting Current Value selections

When users try to export reports to PDF from the Power BI Service, they are unable to get the export to reflect their filter selections, bookmarks, etc. It shows the default value, even when Current Values is selected in the dropdown. The "Exclude hidden pages" option is working. This issue was replicated across multiple reports, in both workspaces and apps. It is working properly if the .pbix file is opened in the desktop application.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
cmcnamee
Advocate I
Advocate I

After further research, it looks like this is affecting reports that use buttons linked to bookmarks to hide/unhide visuals. For example, some reports have multiple tables on a page, and a user uses the bookmark to select which table they'd like to see. Filters are respected on export before the user selects a button, but not after. Other reports are now exporting as expected.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
axk
Frequent Visitor

Year 2023 and this is still not fixed.. 

chiewchun
Frequent Visitor

Hi @axk ,

The issue was fixed for me last year but reoccured 3 weeks ago when the filter is not respected again. Service request raised to MS and they've reproduced the issue on their end. Waiting for them respond back.

chiewchun
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

I encountered this issue this morning for one of my reports. The weird thing is the it only occurs for this specific report and only from today. It was working flawlessly before today. Logically, I enabled and disabled report options one by one and found that the 'persistent filter' was causing the issue. Once, I've disabled the option, the export to pdf worked. Hope this helps someone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

had a simlar problem here. After some investigation with a colleauge, we noticied that I had the Report option to 'Allow Users to Change Filter Types' selected on my desktop. When I unchecked this option, republished the report and updated the App, the filters were respected as they should be.

Very strange affect, but it worked for us 🙂 

image.png

That seemed to solve about 80% of my problem, thank you! That option was already deselected in my report, but I toggled it on and off, and now most of my bookmarks are exporting as expected. There is only one bookmark that is still displaying the default view and values when exporting.

For context, this report is a single page with 6 buttons at the top. Each button is tied to a bookmark that essentially unhides a different table. The only difference between these tables is the dimension in the row context.

I have the same problem but with no bookmarks and the filter option unchecked. 

Basically the export to PDF option ignores all filters.

I wish Microsoft would get their **bleep** together and fix issues to features they have already rolled out. Notice the decomposition tree they rolled out works great on the desktop and barely at all online.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeh, it can be pretty annoying alright!

On the bright side, there was a fix released by Microsoft on the 22nd of November for this exact issue. I just happened to be on the support page for another reason, and caught the message while it was there.

Since this date, I haven't have an problems with the export to PDF/PowerPoint functions, but if you're still having problems it might be worth republishing your report with the latest version of Power BI Desktop etc., and just making sure your App Workspace is the 'new' kind.

Hope this helps anyway 😀

2019-12-11.png

After trying the suggested resolutions (Update PBI Desktop, Ensure "New" experience toggle is on in the Service, uncheck and re-check the filter option and re-publish) I am still having issues with filters being applied to the report when Exporting to PDF.

Is the update referenced  for November 22nd something we have to apply explicitly, or was that change effective for th whole service? Are there other solutions to this problem?

Note: I have a custom filter for the 2nd of 4 tabs, but I'm only filtering and testing on the first tab using filters in the filter pane. As I understand, my 2nd tab will not work regarless as custom filters are not yet supported. Also note that my data is in Tabular.

I have this issue still in service. I have updated newest version of Desktop, workspace is new style, New look is on - still not working. In Desktop, everything works fine but in service, works nothing. I also noticed, that in addition to the problem with filtering, also a custom visual is not shown at all...

We've tried today with a report inside an application. However, the issue remains.

It's the middle of July 2020 and I'm still having this issue.

CmdrKeene

Hi. Have you got this sorted? It is working fine in desktop but not in workspace and apps. I just have a PBI Pro license. Does that matter?

cmcnamee
Advocate I
Advocate I

After further research, it looks like this is affecting reports that use buttons linked to bookmarks to hide/unhide visuals. For example, some reports have multiple tables on a page, and a user uses the bookmark to select which table they'd like to see. Filters are respected on export before the user selects a button, but not after. Other reports are now exporting as expected.

For me this doesn't work. I don't have bookmarks on this report, but it will only export to PDF with default data in stead of current.

The checkbox "allow users to change filter types" was already checked, so this doens't work either.

Same. Any updates or any suggestions for a workaround?

I wonder whether any fix has been found for this issue? 

hello, have you got this working from your end? 

Hi,

It seems to be working fine for me now!

Hi. It is working for me in desktop but not in workspace and apps.

I am still encountering the same issues/concern. Are there any updates on this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.