Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DHBallantyne
Regular Visitor

Export to PDF - File created is unusually large

When I use the "Export to PDF" option in Power BI Desktop, the resulting PDF seems unusually large.

In my case, I have a .PBIX that contains 8 separate tabs, each tab has two or three graphs and some sliders. 

1) If I click "Export to PDF", it creates a PDF that is 70 MB in size.  This seems unusually large.  If I take a screen shots of each Tab and compile these into a PDF using Acrobat, the resulting file is about 1/10th of the size.

2) If I Take the time to "Hide" all tabs but one, and then "Export to PDF", the resulting PDF has only the one tab (as expected) but the size is 50 MB.

I could work around this with screenshots and Acrobat, but it is more time consuming.

Is anyone experiencing the same results?

Does anyone know of better way that makes a smaller PDF?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DHBallantyne 

Based on my knowledge, it seems no such feature to reduce the pdf size in power bi.

You may submit an idea here.

Here is an idea to use from another user, you may have a try to see if it helps.

Capture6.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ryandec

I was able to reduce a 20MB PDF file generated from MS BI using Adobe Acrobat's "Reduce File Size" functionality to 240KB.

Why is BI generating these massive files which on ocasion are blocked from O365 email due to reaching max file size limit. I don't want to have to add another step of using Acrobat everytime I generate a PDF.

Appreciate your help and thanks in advance!

- R

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DHBallantyne 

Based on my knowledge, it seems no such feature to reduce the pdf size in power bi.

You may submit an idea here.

Here is an idea to use from another user, you may have a try to see if it helps.

Capture6.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.