Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Export to Excel button at report

Hello everyone!
This forum has helped me a lot so far, and now i have a new question:

There is any way to create a button at an report so the final user can download the data in excel format?

I'm the owner of a report, but weekly some clients aks me to send them the data from this report in excel format. I want

7 REPLIES 7
Bryan-Torres

Hello

I have a solution for that, I do it as follows

1 - I copy the data model from Power BI to Excel, with this I mean Power Query queries and all Dax measures or calculated columns

2 - Charge the data you need to export from Power BI into tables within Excel spreadsheets

3 - Upload the Excel file to One Drive Business or Sharepoint site

4 - In Power BI Service from a workspace I give the option "New / Upload a file"

5 - I select the source from One Drive or the Sharepoint site and choose the Connect option, this allows you to put program update to the Excel dataset and therefore to the tables within the Excel file (the Excel file must have data model in Power Pivot to allow you to put scheduled update) I put the same updates as I have in the Power BI

6 - From One Drive or Sharepoint I select the Excel file and give it share (I choose the permissions you need for that case) I disable the "edit content" option to ensure that the dataset is always updated so that they have the Excel file open

7 - I copy the link that throws me into the action of a button inside Power BI so that the user arrives at an Excel window online where he sees the tables with the same data as there is in the report and from there he can save a copy on his computer

I hope this help will help you, even serves when sharing public on the web

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you copy the entire data model from Power BI to Excel?

v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry for that Power BI just can export one visual’s data each time, and there is no button can download the whole report data.

If you want to export the .xlxs file format, you need to go to the Power BI Service.

In the Power BI Desktop, you just can export data with .csv file format.

EX1.jpg

EX2.jpg

For more information, you can refer to the documents shared by @az38, thanks for sharing.

If you have any question, please kindly ask here and we will try to resolve it.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi @Anonymous 

have a look here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the way i'm using for now, but i have to send to my clients the pbix file so they can open the report and go to the "Export" option, or, they have to create an powerbi service account to login, open the report and go to the export option.

What i want is make them possible to export only with the published report link.

But thanks for the suggestion!

Hi @Anonymous  ,

Sorry for that, but I also not found an effective solution to achieve your requirement,
perhaps you can submit the requirement to ideas and add your comments there to make this feature coming sooner : https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Whether you share a report through PowerBI service, or send it by attaching a PBIX file to an email attachment, you cannot directly export excel. You need to open the report and choose which visual's data to export.

If you have any question, please kindly ask here and we will try to resolve it.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, thanks for the reply though.
And yes, I don't want them to export all the report data, only a table/matrix data.

But I'll suggest this and hope it be done soon.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.