Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Urid1969
Helper I
Helper I

Export table to EXCEL changes order of columns

Hello 

I have a table created in Power bi report with the below column order....

CustomerID, CustomerName, Sales

Now, when I export the data to EXCEL file I got  the table like

Sales,CustomerName,CustomerID

Why the order of the collumns are changed? How can we solve it?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Urid1969@peterdeacon This is a known issue. I found the order of columns in exported Excel file are determined by the order when we drag fields to the table visual originally. And we got the feedback from the PG below:

"Currently this is by design. Export to Excel export the data from the dataset and isn't aware of visual changes that are done in PBI frontend UI like column re order"

For more information, you can see this same thread: Export data column order wrong for xlsx v. csv.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu   

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Urid1969@peterdeacon This is a known issue. I found the order of columns in exported Excel file are determined by the order when we drag fields to the table visual originally. And we got the feedback from the PG below:

"Currently this is by design. Export to Excel export the data from the dataset and isn't aware of visual changes that are done in PBI frontend UI like column re order"

For more information, you can see this same thread: Export data column order wrong for xlsx v. csv.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu   

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm still getting this issue. When is it going to be fixed?

FarhanAhmed1984
Resolver III
Resolver III

Are you using Export from Table using Export Data???

If yes, then column sequence in report table will be exported rather than original column sequence from Datasource

I found if I export into .CSV file the order is unchanged

I found the same issue.  Create a tlat table with the results you want to see, then export, it will at least order the colums you want to concentrate on so you can complete Vlookups in Excel easily without having to reformat the data over and over again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.