Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

littletinner

Export parsed-XML dataset as CSV - R Script

I am parsing a single XML file, at the end of which I would like to export the 'parsed' data to a .csv file.

While I can successfully export the data using 'Run R Script' at the end of the query using the script below, it seems to clear out my data in PowerBI, thus breaking all my visualizations.

write.table(dataset, file="c:/AcadTemp/filename.csv", sep = ",", row.names = FALSE);

How do I write .csv output at the end of the 'query' and still have the query end with the original dataset (table) that was written to the .csv file?

Also, if i could script it to export a .csv file with the same name as the .pbix file, what would be equally awesome.  I will be reusing the same powerbi 'template' for multiple jobs by changing the 'Source' file and 'saving as'.  This when the dataset is refeshed, I would like the visualizations to update along with a freshly exported .csv file.  So, FileA.pbix would export FileA.csv, while

FileB.pbix would export FileB.csv, etc. 

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @littletinner,

Based on my test, we need to change the the power query in Advanced Editor to use the previous step instead of  step #"Run R Script" as output as suggested by smoupre above, then it should work as expected.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCvRxUdJRMjTTNTAF0QYGSrE6yKJmQNoIKuoXcmgBMkTSaIpXBcgQM1Ol2FgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"State   " = _t, #"YYMM  " = _t, #"Amount                         " = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"State   ", type text}, {"YYMM  ", type text}, {"Amount                         ", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",{{"State   ", "State"}, {"YYMM  ", "YYMM"}, {"Amount                         ", "Amount"}}),
    #"Run R Script" = R.Execute("# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script#(lf)write.table(dataset, file=""C:/Export Files/filename.csv"", sep = "","", row.names = FALSE);#(lf)dataset;",[dataset=#"Renamed Columns"])
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

For the sceond question, after a few try, I still cannot figure out a way to get the currently pbix file name with R or M in this scenario. Hope others who are more familar with R or M could help. Smiley Happy

Regards

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You need to make sure that the "in" portion of your Power Query includes a step that contains your dataset. I am guessing that the write.table function does not return the dataset so if it is the step referenced in your "in" of your Power Query then you will get nothing. Just use the Advanced Editor to change it to the step above that statement.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.