Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

amir_tohidi
Helper I
Helper I

Export error: "Your data is too large. Some data sampling may occur."

Hello,

I have created a report that contains 47,678 rows. As not everyone has Power BI Desktop, I am trying to export the data to a CSV file and I am getting the error shown below.

I do not have the option of publishing to the Power BI cloud as that is not enabled for my company.

Is there any other way I can export the data into CSV/Excel?

Thanks in advance.

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@amir_tohidi

This is a known issue, please vote the idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9609906-export-powerbi-desktop-to...

I suggest you directly import the source data into the Excel/CSV file. For example, if it's from SQL table, you can copy the query result set into Excel worksheet.

Regards,

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
PatChan
Frequent Visitor

Publish your report to Power BI Service and export the data from the same visual there. It works for me!

We... or me at least do NOT want to publish! I know and tested from publish but, again, thats not the topic;

OP mentioned not having option to publish, wanting to export from PowerBI Desktop.

(the contention is that M$ did this on purpose to force people go to online service

youness_aaf
Regular Visitor

Hello,

You can copy your table and passt it in excel worksheet, it works for, i have copy a table of 350 000 row from power-bi to excel file. I have selected the "Data" tab and i selected the table i want to copy, after i clicked on 3 points, then i clocked on copy "copy table" option.

youness_aaf_0-1651830942819.pngyouness_aaf_1-1651831065579.png

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi guys, DAX studio seems to work only with a tables in Query Editor?

What if i want to export 50k rows from a matrix table object that i have created? It merges some columns from different tables and uses measure as a value as well. Is there a way to export it ? 

Yemeng_Hu
Frequent Visitor

Use DAX studio. 

Had a same issue before, resolved with DAX studio, at least for my project. 

Yemeng_Hu
Frequent Visitor

Use DAX studio. 

Had a same problem before, resolved with DAX studio, at least for my project. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amir_tohidi,

This idea seems like it pertains more to your posting: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/31837054-don-t-limit-download-dat...

I'm running into the issue too and the data isn't even that big. Frustrating.

I got around this by publishing to my workspace and exporting (summarized data) from there and it worked successfully.  We are using live connection to SSAS though so not a difficult option for us to do it this way.

Hi
I want to know how Large data can be exported to csv/xlsx from Published power BI report. Currently some data are missing from the exported csv file compared to the original matrix.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The publish to workspace method works well.  For some reason the Web Interface allows to export to .xlsx which has a max of 150k rows.  I was not able to find how to enable .xlsx export in PBI Desktop.  

jestevez
Advocate I
Advocate I

The easiest way is by using DAX Studio https://daxstudio.codeplex.com/

1. Connect DAX Studio to your Power BI

2. Type EVALUATE yourtable

3. Click Output  --> File

4. Run

PS. works for more than 1M rows

Captura1.PNG

@jestevez

Hi,

Would you know if this is a reliable tool?

GTASTEVE

This workaround will create chunks of 20k lines which can be exported.

1) add an index column to your table called "index"

2) add a new column named "EXPORT_GROUP" to your table (in the example below change TblName to your actual table name) :

EXPORT_GROUP = switch (true(),

AND(TblName[Index]>=0, TblName[Index]<=20000), "Group1",

AND(TblName[Index]>=20001, TblName[Index]<=40000), "Group2",

"Group3")

you can now create a slicer for the EXPORT_GROUP and export your data in sections. Add more Groups if you have a more than 60k of lines.

mo9k8
Frequent Visitor

Since the last update... you can now export up to 30K rows. Still too low as other I would just use Access.

It's a bit of joke this 'issue' as its not an issue at all - its a limit, implemented intentionally by microsoft in order to try and get you to export your data to their cloud! Why don't Microsoft put a note near the PBI Desktop download saying that there are limits on data export. No-one expects to be limited what data you can export, other than by your own hardware.

I agree.  30K is too low.  Since there are a little over 40,000 zip codes in the US, this limitation means that you can't export data that has been aggregated at the zip code level (which MANY business people do).  This is a severe limitation in my book.

I agree.  30K is still too low.  Since there are a little over 40,000 zip codes in the US, this limitation means that you won't be able to export data that has been aggregated at the zip code level (which MANY business people do).

mo9k8
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I can't export more than 1001 rows and I need about 10k rows with about 20 fields... how much is exactly "too large"?

Regards,

M

Hi,

My visual has 10 columns and 47,000 rows.

@amir_tohidi

This is a known issue, please vote the idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9609906-export-powerbi-desktop-to...

I suggest you directly import the source data into the Excel/CSV file. For example, if it's from SQL table, you can copy the query result set into Excel worksheet.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.