I am completely amazed how Power BI developers keep thier jobs!!! This product is a big disaster mess with idiots running the developemnt of this application. Anyone interested in real data anaylitics, run from Power BI as fast as you can!!! use any other tool but this half baked application!! Save yourself time, Money and effort by immediatly dumping this crappy developed application.
I need to open yet another support case to report yet MORE bugs !!! When exporting data , this product simply is the most idiotic thing I have ever seen in 40 years in the IT industry!!!
I have a table with 25 columns neatly laid out on screen. I have all the formulas working and released the report Live to senior level staff in our orgnization. This report took weeks to develop and get just right, while all senior level staff anxiously awaited the completion. As soon as I released the report to the organization and Senior level staff started exporting data guess what happened?
Your right, his crap tool exports everything completely wrong!!! yes , numbers are off, wrong numbers are in the wrong columns, data simply doesnt make sense. It looks nothing like the table online , and there sure as hell is absolutely NO way to reconcile what staff see on screen and what gets exported. Boy, did Microsoft make me look like a complete fool to my organization by trusting in this product!
I hate Microsoft at this point!!! How these developers get away with the pure garbage they create is beyod me.
Anyone considering this tool would be a complete fool to use it in any real life need. This si simply a play novelety Idea with NO real world use! it is simply Garbage!
This is a forum for people to get help and give ideas. It is unfortunate that you had such a bad experience, but this is not really the place to vent your frustration. If you want to provide screenshots or a better explanation of what happened maybe we can debug your problem.
You say the data export is incorrect. What kind of export did you do? Analyze in Excel? Custom R to write to CSV? Was there RLS or maybe permissions that consumers of your dashboard don't have and thus they will see different data than you?
It's sad to hear that you did not find this product upto the quality but you should understand the product well before you start to use it. There are other ways to export the data as well as long as you know how to utilize them. You can use R Script to export data.
Thanks & Regards, Bhavesh
Love the Self Service BI. Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
I've also found that exported data into excel (as a CSV) doesn't match what is in Power BI. After I've refreshed a report containing queries, some numbers in the report screen don't match the data screen. Numbers are also produced in the report output that don't exist in the source system/data.
The data that gets exported is the UNDERLYING data used in the visual, not necessarily in the exact format that the visual is showing it. For example, if you have a matrix with a hierarchy on the rows and columns and you expand all to the bottom level, when you export you won't get a table with the same structure.
We are having the same issue, and understand that the data will be in a different format. However, after exporting the underlying data, we have added up the numbers, and the total does not match the totals shown in the visualization. Strangely, the visualization numbers are correct, and match our underlying database. The Export function seems to be unreliable.
This is a problem for us, since we are using it for User Acceptance Testing with our more savvy users. They export the underlying data for the visualizations to verify that it is correct for signoff.
Are the Export Data problems planned to be addressed soon?
We are having the same problem, and understand that the underlying data will be in a different format than the visualization. That is not the issue.
We have exported the underlying data to a visualization, and added up the numbers in the extract. The totals obtained from the extract do not match those shown in the visualization. The viz is correct and matches our database totals, but the exported data is not. It seems to be a problem in the export function itself.
This is a problem for us, in that our users are exporting data from visualizations as part of User Acceptance Test. They want to verify that the totals and calculations shown match the underlying data.
Until the Export Data feature can be investigated, it seems that it is unreliable, and should not be used for testing values.
Please provide a screenshot of the visual, a screenshot of the export data, and the DAX used for any measures. You can provide dummy data but make sure it approximates the actuals in terms of the differences between visual vs export.
I've been working with Power BI daily and use it for reporting and leadership team reviews (high visibility numbers) and have never had a problem with data export.