Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anilsaini
Regular Visitor

Export Power BI datasource from Powerbi desktop

Hi Experts,

I want to share the data source on which some of my reports are build to one of my colleagues.

We don't that the next person will again make the connection with the data source, specify joins and create a dataset ready for creating reports.

Is there any way to export my data source ( connection detail with actual data) so that if I share that file, he need not create connections etc again. 

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @anilsaini,

If you want your user to get your data source without any credential, it should be impossible in Power BI. The identity authentication is for security.

If you want your next person could create the report with your dataset, you could create an app workspace in Power BI Service and add your colleagues as the member in it, then publish your report to the app workspace. Your user could connect with Power BI Service and select the report you have published in the app worspace without connect the underlying data source.

Note: you should give the edit permission of the workspace.

If that is not your case, could you describe your scenario in more details so that we can help further investigate on it?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-piga-msft Thanks for you answer, Yes, I want to do it with security.

Yes, what you mentioned is correct. But I do not want to do it via Power BI service. Is there any similar way of doing that using powerbi desktop.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors