Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Export List of App "Users"

For the purposes of communicating to a large audience, I would like to exports users who have access to an App I created in Power BI.  Is there a way to export the users into Excel (or other solution) so that their emails can be copied/pasted into email?

Appreciate any and all input.

17 REPLIES 17
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

To date there is no way to export users with access for each Report, a tip that may help is to use the "Web Selection" tool of Microsoft edge.

Steve_Bedford
Advocate II
Advocate II

If you were really organised you could do this via AD groups, at least for apps that you restrict.  I'm neither that organised nor are all our apps restricted.  So this is what I've done....

This ends up giving you a list of users of the reports that are published in the app, rather than all the app users who have access, but if you want to communicate to the users who use it, this gives you that ability; it also gives you that same ability for non-restricted apps which don't have a defined user list.

1. On any report in the app's workspace create one of those "View usage metrics report" reports.
    That will give you info about one single report.  Nice, but not that useful.
  2. Click on File then Save As to create a copy of that generic useage report.
    Personally I name these, e.g. "Report Usage (Workspace Name)".
    (Sometimes I get an error message telling me that report doesn't exist, but when I go back to the workspace the report is there.)
  3. You can then edit that report, in particular you can:
    1. Remove the filter so all reports are shown
    2. Make it your own report

This is what mine looks like:
      Workspace Useage Report ExampleIt's got a report filter in the top left, and a table of users in the bottom right. 
  4. You can then export the data in the table with the users' email addresses in it.

Presumably you can do the same with Dashboards in a workspace; I haven't had that need.

I'm also guessing there must be an easier way to this, e.g. via whatever Tenant Admin's have access to, but this is the best I can do with the access I've got.

Hopefully that's useful to someone.

@Steve_Bedford wrote:

If you were really organised you could do this via AD groups, at least for apps that you restrict.  I'm neither that organised nor are all our apps restricted.  So this is what I've done....

This ends up giving you a list of users of the reports that are published in the app, rather than all the app users who have access, but if you want to communicate to the users who use it, this gives you that ability; it also gives you that same ability for non-restricted apps which don't have a defined user list.

1. On any report in the app's workspace create one of those "View usage metrics report" reports.
    That will give you info about one single report.  Nice, but not that useful.
  2. Click on File then Save As to create a copy of that generic useage report.
    Personally I name these, e.g. "Report Usage (Workspace Name)".
    (Sometimes I get an error message telling me that report doesn't exist, but when I go back to the workspace the report is there.)
  3. You can then edit that report, in particular you can:
    1. Remove the filter so all reports are shown
    2. Make it your own report

This is what mine looks like:
      Workspace Useage Report ExampleIt's got a report filter in the top left, and a table of users in the bottom right. 
  4. You can then export the data in the table with the users' email addresses in it.

Presumably you can do the same with Dashboards in a workspace; I haven't had that need.

I'm also guessing there must be an easier way to this, e.g. via whatever Tenant Admin's have access to, but this is the best I can do with the access I've got.

Hopefully that's useful to someone.

but this would only report the list of users who access the report, not all the users who have access the report right?
but this

Yes, I tried this method.

It allows you to obtain the list of users that had actually used the report. Not the entire list of users with access.

Still can be usefull in certain contest!

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no other solution than the proposed by @MrSun ?

What if we have ten published application?

I Have done a PowerShell script to export all the workspaces with all his members, but I would like to add some code to export the members who have access to the applications.

It doesn't exist an HTTP request like "Get Group Users" but with applications instead of workspaces?

Thanks.

@AnonymousHow did you manage to pull out members info along with the workspaces export. Also, did you get to export the list of users that have access to reports/dashboards specific to them in the workspace? Please let me know as I'm trying to figure out on pulling the access permissions for various users for each report/dashboard in a set of workspaces.

BR,
mamidi

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @irnm8dn,

Please refer to this thread that is same with this one.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jiascu-msft

Thanks for the feedback.

In this case, this will not be a solution.  The users of the App, are not part of the workspace.  I need an alternative to export the users who have permission to use the App.

Thanks, please let me know.

Hi @irnm8dn,

You can click "Update app" and you will see the users who have access. Please create an idea here for better experience.

Export_List_of_App_Users

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jiascu-msft

Thanks but you can neither copy nor paste this information.

I've got the same issue. I want to extract this list of users but can't paste or extract it.

Anyone else knows a trick or something?

I've found a small trick to be able to copy and paste the list.

Just open the Power BIapps settings (where you give the access to the app) into Internet Explorer and save the page as text only.

Then just open it and scroll a little to find the list of name.

Now you can copy and past it into something more tidy and clean.

While this did extract the information, all of my names, email addresses and persmissions were concatenated without a delimiter. I was able to extract the emails manually for a small number of users (around 300) so was able to complete the task I needed to do but this is a major flaw with PowerBi that needs to be rectified.

Extracty the list of users should work exactly the same way the user statistics are extracted.

PBI-APP-USER-LIST.jpg

Hope this will help to  people who are not much familiar with Internet Explorer(IE)

What about if you want to download the list of users that are access the report online on the Power Bi server? How do you do that?

What about if you want to download the list of users that are access the report online on the Power Bi server? How do you do that?

Now that's a nifty little workaround.  Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.