Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

djakona

Export Data option not available for some users

I recently updated my power bi client and made some enhancements to existing reports. The result after publishing was that some users can no longer see the 'Export Data' option in updated reports. 

What I found is that after 10/2018 the power bi client app changes default policy for Export Data - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data

1. report designer has to specifically make sure that export is enabled (default is summary data only)

2. users have to be admins/owners in order to have Export Data option

"The option to export the data requires a Pro or Premium license and edit permissions to the dataset and report."

I took care of 1. above by making the change in power bi desktop for each report (to include underlying data as well).

However, for 2. above all users that have Read and Reshare can no longer use the Export Data option and it's horrible. I don't want to give them permission to edit the report but only to export the data. I have verified Export Data is available for owners/admins but that's not enough!!!

Help! Am I missing something?

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found the similar issue - User unable to find the export data option in the Power BI service - User has an issue with only one report in the workspace but rest all reports in that workspace she is good and able to see export data option, Anyone has a better idea why is this behavior? thanks

User has read access.

drad
Helper I
Helper I

I'm experiencing a similar issue, I have users that could previously export data not even have the option.

My users have Full Power BI licenses with Read and Reshare permissions on each of the dashboards. 

This seems to me to be a bug within the power BI Service as this has happend before. To fix it I simply Disabled then Reenabled Export Data in the Admin Portal.

Although this has now happend again and I can't fix it with the same method.

Please help!

The only way I found to enable the 'export data' option is to re-share the report (remove perms to specific groups or idividuals and then re-add perms) and this time select 'allow users to build new content using the underlying datasets'. 

Looks like others have similar replies, need someone from Power BI team to confirm this behavior:

1. is it expected (and when did it change)?

2. any other way to enable export data? 

3. if it's a bug what's the eta on fixing it? 

4. is there any dependency on the client version used to build the reports (I suspect this may be part of this)?

@PowerBI

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @djakona ,

AFAIK, share features current require pro and above license. Export operation require you can view shared content and has edit permission for these contents.
Maybe you can submit an idea for enable export features for free user or direct share your pbix to these users.

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@v-shex-msft  Are these requirements new? We have premium workspaces and users can normally export data. In fact, we have users who can currently export data from other reports in the same workspace, but one report, they cannot. The pbix file is set like this below prior to publishing. We cannot figure out why the export data option will not appear for our users in this particular report. Seems like a new bug as they previously could export from this very report just a few weeks ago (I know as we had specifically had a meeting and tested it to ensure it worked).
Capture.PNG

This is exactly the same as me.

All my users have PBI Pro, have build access and the PBI file has the same settings as your screenshot. All of a sudden a subset of users couldn't export. This subset has no differences from other users that can export.

This has to be a bug.

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I think it's a bug too because my users could previously see this option. Just curious - when did you first notice it?

First time I noticed it was March-April timeframe. I did also update client pbi apps with which these reports are build which led to other incosistencies but I wonder that may have something to do with it. 

Thank you for responding. You are probably correct about the licensing permissions. However, default sharing options before allowed export of data and now I have to specifically allow 'Allow users to build new content using the underlying datasets' for export of data to work. 

Is there anything else that may be impacting sharing permissions e.g. power bi desktop client version with which reports were build or anything else? 

Thanks!

See response from Community Help team, I'm following to find out more detail.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue.

My workspace is in premium capacity, and the user is a "free" user.

The user can only export data if I add

"Allow users to build new content using the underlying datasets" which I do not want to do.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.