Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KyleWilliamsBMI
Advocate II
Advocate II

Export Data from Slicer Visual Returning All Results (with filter applied)

Hi Team,

A current issue we're seeing with slicers is that you may deselect certain items from a drop-down list. However, when you go to export the data from the slicer visual a dialog pops up that says "Data will export with applied filters", but when the data is actually exported from these slicers the full list is returned. Can this be fixed so that slicers export only the data that is filtered out?

KW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KyleWilliamsBMI,

I got information below: 

This is By Design. Slicers do not filter themselves.  Otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to change the selected value.  Export data does not preserve the current selection on a visual.  If users would like that behavior, please have them file/vote for an item on ideas.powerbi.com.

I’d suggest the customer have a table visual next to the slicer.  The table will be filtered by the slicer, so they can do export data from that table.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KyleWilliamsBMI,

I got information below: 

This is By Design. Slicers do not filter themselves.  Otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to change the selected value.  Export data does not preserve the current selection on a visual.  If users would like that behavior, please have them file/vote for an item on ideas.powerbi.com.

I’d suggest the customer have a table visual next to the slicer.  The table will be filtered by the slicer, so they can do export data from that table.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, we have submitted this idea at the following link - please vote if you agree this would be a helpful ability!
https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/34448368--export-data-functionali...

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KyleWilliamsBMI,

The "Data will export with applied filters" message is not specific for the visual which has filtered only. It's just a prompt message, both filtered and un-filtered visual will have this message when exporting data. 

I have tested both in Power BI desktop and service, though slicer visual has value selected, exporting data from slicer visual will return all rows. I will contact internally if this is expected behavior. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.