Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Export Data - Data Exceeds the Limit

Hi,

I suspect this comes with the November update. When I try to do an Export Data from a Matrix or Table I am now getting a Data Exceeds the Limit error, I used to be able to Export data with a wide date range but after the update it's now giving me that even if I select a single date to export.

What's going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey,

the documentation states that there is a limit of rows that can be exportet to csv, this limit is 30000 rows.

Using the target format xlsx this limit is 150k rows, the export to xlsx option is available in Power BI Service.

These limits are described here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-visualization-export-data

Please don't ask me why such a limit exists 🙂 I'm just the messenger

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
joewichowski

Looks like, as a workaround here -  I was able to make an RDL that utilizes the Power BI report in question (mine had 85,000+ rows).  The RDL was just a simple table replicating the entire dataset (all columns).  The Export of the RDL to Excel within Power BI Premium worked fine.  I then embedded the RDL inside the Power BI Report for ease-of-interface for the users.

darkocernik

I'm running the Version: 2.56.5023.942 (March)  and still have the same issue. Also, it seems a maximal number of rows which can be exported is 30000!

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I am having this same issue. It sounds like you've confirmed it will not truncate the data at least up to 10,000 records, but how do we know for sure when receiving the error. We're supposed to be able to download 150,000 records. I am unsure as to whether or not I have a complete data set when using this feature.

Every release of Power BI seems to result in more bugs. These new bugs every month waste so much time. It's really frustrating.

I'm facing the same issu with the Version: 2.56.5023.942 (March) . It seems a maximal number of rows which can be exported is 30000!

Yes, apparently. Also it's still is doing that thing where it removes duplicate columns, well different headers but the same content - not a good design but yes I really intended to put a duplicate column. PowerBI removes the twin column and leaves only one.

Hey,

the documentation states that there is a limit of rows that can be exportet to csv, this limit is 30000 rows.

Using the target format xlsx this limit is 150k rows, the export to xlsx option is available in Power BI Service.

These limits are described here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-visualization-export-data

Please don't ask me why such a limit exists 🙂 I'm just the messenger

Regards

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hi, I'm aware of the 30,000 row limit. But I'm trying to export tables that are far under 30,000 rows and still getting the "data exceeds the limit" error. Any other known reasons for this or workarounds? Thanks. 

Hey @Clearydavided  and @Ben-Day ,

there is a current issue, you can find it here on the Power BI tab: https://support.fabric.microsoft.com/de-de/known-issues

Regards,
Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

I'm having the same issue. The data is under 30,000 rows.

Could this be an issue introduced with the latest release?

But, there is a way to retrieve the data from Power BI by using DAX studio software.

Install the software and Open both softwares, ( power BI and DAX studio ).

In a few seconds, DAX studio connect browser will appear, you have to choose one option ( PBI/ SSDT Model ) with your power BI file name.

IF connected, you can see the power bi data in home tab.

And you have to go to "Advanced Tab", Click Export Data. Choose the CSV file and Output file path.

Done.

Enjoy the 30000 plus rows data.

Here is the link for DAX studio software.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yh7vuwweuw9tco7/DaxStudio_2_16_2_setup.rar?dl=0

Thank you, thurein!
Your solution worked liked a charm to me!

Finally I can continue my analysis!!!

How do I change export format to excel?

Hello,

still get the same issue with version of april 2019 .... the data are troncated at 30000 rows for csv files from the desktop .... i don't understand what is the idea behind limiting the file size but it's clearly painful

i've heard that i should be able to export to XLSX from the sevice (up to 150000 row) but i couldn't find the option

Can you help me?

thanks

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@LY18 Once the report is published to powerbi.com, hover over the visual you want to export and three dots should appear in the upper right corner. You can then select Export and continue exporting to Excel file format.

Capture.PNG

Hi @Shelley , what version of the Power bi report.pbix file is ? because I am using october 2017 version of .pbix file and the report server is Jan 2019, still I am not able to find the mentioned option in the published report.

> Please provide a screen shot next to selecting the eclipse to export the file 

Thanks, 

Prabhu

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Prabhu_MDUThere is a bit of a tricky gotcha to this. In order to see the export option (even the three dots for that matter), the Visual Header must be turned on, on the visual. So, in the desktop pbix file, click on the visual for which you want to be able to export and then go to the paint roller formatting pane. Look down at the bottom where it says Visual header and turn it on. Here's a screenshot. When you publish, the option (three dots) should now show upon hovering on the visual.

Annotation 2019-11-13 074142.png

@Shelley  Hoorray... it works.. Thanks a lot.. 

Shelley
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

You're welcome @Prabhu_MDU - Glad I was able to assist!

thanks for both feedbacks 😉

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.