Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ovetteabejuela
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Export Data - Data Exceeds the Limit

Hi,

I suspect this comes with the November update. When I try to do an Export Data from a Matrix or Table I am now getting a Data Exceeds the Limit error, I used to be able to Export data with a wide date range but after the update it's now giving me that even if I select a single date to export.

What's going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey,

the documentation states that there is a limit of rows that can be exportet to csv, this limit is 30000 rows.

Using the target format xlsx this limit is 150k rows, the export to xlsx option is available in Power BI Service.

These limits are described here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/power-bi-visualization-export-data

Please don't ask me why such a limit exists 🙂 I'm just the messenger

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

@LY18 , you can't access Excel option from Power BI dev app. You can see it only from the published report. So save, publish, go to report url, then the export pop up will ask which format.

@TomMartens,

Thanks, but that is definitely new information and I think everyone who came to this thread aren't aware. Prior to November update there was no such limitation.

Okay then I think I rest my case, though I'm curios WHY.

Limits it is!

You can't, unless you count the rows in your visual. As a workaround, I suggest using the October version until this gets fixed permanently,

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@ovetteabejuela,

The fix of this issue will be released on January.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I too have this issue - and running on the Jan '18 update.

What is the status on this issue??

I'm running the Version: 2.56.5023.942 (March)  and still have the same issue. Also, it seems a maximal number of rows which can be exported is 30000!

@v-yuezhe-msft,

Looking forward for the fix, thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for raising this issue.  I have the same problem and look forward to the Jan '18 solution

alex139
Frequent Visitor

@ovetteabejuela

As a temporary workaround, you can try reverting to the October version or you can ignore the warning for datasets smaller than 30k rows.

What more I have observed is that if it reaches a certain number of rows, it removes duplicate columns which I intentionally placed but if it's less rows it just leaves duplicate columns alone.

So probably I could say it does not truncate by rows(to a certain number maybe 30K or 100K) but it certainly does remove duplicate columns.

@ovetteabejuela

I will test this tomorrow morning. If you have any datasets you have used in your tests please share. Thank you.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@ovetteabejuela,

I can reproduce your issue in November update. Based on my test, the message will throw when you export >=500 rows data. When your visual contains >=500 rows data, as long as you click "Continue" button, the data will be exported in CSV properly.

Besides, I will report this issue internally and post back once I get any updates.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for looking and kindly post back. Okay so the "Continue" option will not truncate anything?

As of now I recreated everything in Excel PowerQuery just for that portion where we need the data exported in CSV.

@ovetteabejuela

When I test with 10000 rows and use Export data option, the data are not truncated, but for the specific limit, we still wait for PG's response.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.