Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pdolzan
Frequent Visitor

Exploring Network graph, node information and filtering

Hi,

I am building a network graph of people and I have Source (from) and Target (to) column in a table imported from csv. I also have in another table with additional information I would like to show if node will be selected on a graph or in the slicer. 

How can I connect table of edges and table of nodes to retrieve node information? In the source and target, columns are a variation of 150 people. I can't connect two columns with one in a different table.

image.pngimage.png

10 REPLIES 10
pdolzan
Frequent Visitor

Or is there a way if a node is clicked on the graph, lookup function will retrieve the values from another table. 

I did manage to do this

Born/ Era= LOOKUPVALUE('Thinkers-Grid view'[Born/ Era],'Thinkers-Grid view'[Thinker/ Figure], (SELECTEDVALUE(all_bi[from])))

how can expand the search so the lookup will also use SELECTEDVALUE(all_bi[to]) and retrive Born/ Era

Hi @pdolzan

Your formula is to say the following meaning, right?

For example, in the "all_l" table, get the value in column[Born/ Era] from table "Thinkers-Grid view" when 'Thinkers-Grid view'[Thinker/ Figure] has the same values as column "all_l"[from].

1.png

Create a calculated column in the table  "all_l"

Born/ Era = LOOKUPVALUE('Thinkers-Grid view'[Born/ Era],'Thinkers-Grid view'[Thinker/ Figure], (all_bi[from]))

2.png

As tested, using selectedvalue in your formula in this way doesn't work, please let me know if my understanding is correct, if not, please give me an example.

Best Regards

Maggie

hi @v-juanli-msft

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

My initial request would be to create a relationship between two tables so I can retrieve any information from Thinker and show it on a report when the node on the graph is clicked

Is this kind of relationship even possible? As you did observe Thinkers-Grid view is my information source table for Names (all_bi) connected in the graph.

I was trying to find another solution with lookup and I tried your formula and it works but the problem is that in the network graph you have Source (all_bi[from]) and Target ( all_bi[to]) as two separate columns and I don't know how to add also all_bi[to] as a search term for the lookup.

Is it possible that if I click on the node of the graph I get both values all_bi[from]) and ( all_bi[to]) because if I use Concate :

Born/ Era = CONCATENATE(LOOKUPVALUE('Thinkers-Grid view'[Born/ Era],'Thinkers-Grid view'[Thinker/ Figure],(all_bi[from])),(LOOKUPVALUE('Thinkers-Grid view'[Born/ Era],'Thinkers-Grid view'[Thinker/ Figure],(all_bi[to]))))

I get result as if both columns were selected but I did select Lacan

image.png

Is there really no one who can advise me?

Hi @pdolzan

What does the question mark mean?

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

point is I would like to show just information of one person, not both. But apparently, this add-in, when a node is selected on a graph, grabs the whole line so I always get both names "from" and "to".

My goal is to retrieve only the name I selected on a graph and show information only for this name.

Not only one line but apparently a whole set of connections for a selected person. But if it can get the label for that person correctly it surely is possible to grab this information. Is there any specific formula or command to catch what you click on the graph? 

Hi @pdolzan

Yes. it is possible to select one column but show values from two columns.

2.png

Column1 = LOOKUPVALUE('Thinkers-Grid view'[Born/ Era],'Thinkers-Grid view'[Thinker/ Figure],[from])

Column2 = LOOKUPVALUE('Thinkers-Grid view'[Born/ Era],'Thinkers-Grid view'[Thinker/ Figure],[to])

Column3 = CONCATENATE([Column2],[Column1])

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.