Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Expanding all columns from an XML file

I have lots of XML files that I have to import containing lots of hierarchies. I dont want to have to manually open each hierarchy up. That will take ages.

Is there are way of doing this in Power BI that will automatically open everything up to the lowestlevel

Thanks in advance

Debbie

2 REPLIES 2
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @DebbieE

here is a blog for you to refer to

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2014/05/21/expanding-all-columns-in-a-table-in-power-query/

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I do worry with that that its going to hit performance. My refresh time is already on the too long side. Afte lots of issues with XML Ive decided its probably wiser to open everything up manually to choose the data items. Opening up all my hierarchies caused lots of headaches. 

Also, in regards to this post, I still didnt understand how to use it.

"Here’s my function, called ExpandAll,"

"You can then use this function on the XML file shown above as follows:"

Im at a level where I need to know how you create the function and how you do use the other function. There isnt quite enough detail in the post to make it useable to someone not at an advanced level

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.