Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JustinAiken
Frequent Visitor

Expanding List of Records into Columns

I have gone through other community responses and videos regarding expanding record values. BI Elite was helpful in regards to the dynamic expansion of records.

However, I have been unable to find a solution that achieves my intended goal. Following my connection to an API to our company's CRM, and subsequent JSON, I am left with a column that contains a list:
JustinAiken_0-1599256462479.png

Which contains 44 records per row when expanded:

JustinAiken_1-1599256546812.png

Each Record contains one Field and Value. If possible, I would like to expand the list into columns named by the Field and populate the columns with each Value. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @JustinAiken ,

if my understanding is correct, you can use this approach:

let
    Source = #table({"CustomFields"}, {{{[FirstRecordField = 1], [SecondRecordField = 2]}},  {{[FirstRecordField = 1], [SecondRecordField = 2]}}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "ToTables", each Record.Combine([CustomFields])),
    #"Expanded ToTables" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom", "ToTables", {"FirstRecordField", "SecondRecordField"}, {"FirstRecordField", "SecondRecordField"})
in
    #"Expanded ToTables"

It  combines the records into one big record that can then easily be expanded. 
No need to create a table, as it would just hold one row.

If you want the fields expansion to be dynamic, you can grab the record field names from the first record like so:

Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom", "ToTables", Record.FieldNames(#"Added Custom"{0}[ToTables]))

Replace the code from the last step with it. This assumes like you said, that all rows contain the same record field names.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @JustinAiken ,

if my understanding is correct, you can use this approach:

let
    Source = #table({"CustomFields"}, {{{[FirstRecordField = 1], [SecondRecordField = 2]}},  {{[FirstRecordField = 1], [SecondRecordField = 2]}}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "ToTables", each Record.Combine([CustomFields])),
    #"Expanded ToTables" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom", "ToTables", {"FirstRecordField", "SecondRecordField"}, {"FirstRecordField", "SecondRecordField"})
in
    #"Expanded ToTables"

It  combines the records into one big record that can then easily be expanded. 
No need to create a table, as it would just hold one row.

If you want the fields expansion to be dynamic, you can grab the record field names from the first record like so:

Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Added Custom", "ToTables", Record.FieldNames(#"Added Custom"{0}[ToTables]))

Replace the code from the last step with it. This assumes like you said, that all rows contain the same record field names.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Thank you @edhans and @ImkeF for your quick suggestions. As my HTTP GET does not contain any sensitive information, I have copied it below. Because the system only allows 50 rows per call, the formula utilizes the LastTimeStamp to obtain all 2,000+ records.

let
Final = List.Generate
(
()=>
[
Result= Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api.repsly.com/v3/export/clients/0", [Headers=[Accept="application/json"]])),
TotalCount = 1
],
each [TotalCount]>0,
each [
Result= Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api.repsly.com/v3/export/clients/" & Text.From([Result][MetaCollectionResult][LastTimeStamp]), [Headers=[Accept="application/json"]])),
TotalCount = [Result][MetaCollectionResult][TotalCount]
],
each [Result][Clients]
),
FinalTable = Table.FromRecords(List.Combine(Final))
in
FinalTable

If I was to use your approach @ImkeF, where would I input your formula? I am a bit of a novice with M.

It won't let me have anonymous access, so I still cannot see into the lists and records it provides.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Unfortunately I can't provide access to the API anonymously. However, after removing some columns for brevity's sake, here is the view from my GET:

JustinAiken_0-1599677808367.png

After expanding "CustomFields" to New Rows, I get the 44 rows of the following:

JustinAiken_1-1599677979015.png

After expanding "CustomFields," I get the following:

JustinAiken_2-1599678157750.pngJustinAiken_3-1599678217876.png

This is a dummy client, so there are is no values in the Values column for this. But the Value column will have text values. Unfortunately, there are some null values that will have to be filtered out.

You can try reviewing this video or googling around. I cannot help with any particular M code as I don't have data to play with. 

Often {0} after a record will expand it, and the square brackets [] can be used to manipulate a list, but that is very generic. I'd have to have data to actually apply to your use case.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

edhans
Super User
Super User

I am sure I can do it, but I'm gonna need that JSON file. I'm not going to figure out how to spend time created embedded lists with records in your format to expand them out. It is a matter of referencing the lists, records, and getting them back out to the table. I'm sure there will be a Table.Transform or List.Tranform in here too to get the 44 items into a field. But I'm speculating here because I cannot see into those values without the data.

You can put fake data in the JSON. Share via onedrive, dropbox, etc.

Would also need your expected results. Mock something up in Excel and post a screencap of it.

Imke can probably do it off the top of her head. 😁

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ImkeF @edhans 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.