Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

smerchant
Helper I
Helper I

Expand Column - REST API JSON Records

I have bring data to PowerBI through an REST API Endpoint.  I have two questions:

1) How do I expand the customer column so I get the value only (there are two column the customer records link/values) (Picture 1)

2) Why do I see 'expand' icon (two arrow) in some columns which allow me to pick the column and not in other column e.g. customer (Picture 2)

customerrecords.png

expandcolumn.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@smerchant,

The column with two arrow contains all the fields recorded in your JSON file, and some fields(e.g. customer ) contain nested arrays, these fields only have one arrow after you import data from JSON to Power BI Desktop.

To expand the customer column, please follow hugoberry's suggestions in this similar thread.

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@smerchant,

The column with two arrow contains all the fields recorded in your JSON file, and some fields(e.g. customer ) contain nested arrays, these fields only have one arrow after you import data from JSON to Power BI Desktop.

To expand the customer column, please follow hugoberry's suggestions in this similar thread.

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello, 

Taking this further, I have 20 JSON files with 20 columns each to import. Rather than click, click, click, what is the programmatic method for importing these?

powerBILineChart15.pngpowerBILineChart16.png

Specifically

• How do I convert JSON to table
  • Expand all columns
  • Drop some columns
  • Rename some columns

This is all manual at the moment.

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.