Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excel with power query into power BI

Hi Community,

I got a very basic question, though I tried looking for the answer but might have missed it.

Say I have an excel sheet, where I am running a power query to fetch some data from an API.

Now I want to connect this excel datat to Power BI desktop.

I will be refreshing this excel sheet, say on a daily basis to get the latest data from the API -- which in turn will be updating the PBI via schedule refresh.

when I go in power PBI, and browse to this excel sheet, I get two options, "Table" and "sheet". apparently both are showing same data, but I don't know, which one should I use and why.

So far, I have been using table option and that is serving the purpose, but can someone please enlighten on the difference betweeen two and when should be one preferred over the other.

2018-04-12 15 36 05.png

Regards

emudria

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Table is better to use, because with a reference to a sheet, Excel will sometimes do some automatic steps in the background to fetch the relevant data in the sheet, that can cause problems. See here for example: http://excel-inside.pro/blog/2017/05/23/excel-sheet-as-a-source-to-power-query-and-power-bi-a-pitfal...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Table is better to use, because with a reference to a sheet, Excel will sometimes do some automatic steps in the background to fetch the relevant data in the sheet, that can cause problems. See here for example: http://excel-inside.pro/blog/2017/05/23/excel-sheet-as-a-source-to-power-query-and-power-bi-a-pitfal...

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @ImkeF, it was very helpful like always.

Regards,

emudria

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.