Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JohnCavil
Helper I
Helper I

Excel sheet user input in power bi.

Hey guys 🙂

So i have this task i'm working on. Basically i am trying to convert an existing excel tool to a powerBI tool.

This tool calculates values based off user inputs. Standard excel stuff. User inputs a bunch of values for each row, it looks at some data, gives each row a score. Now my boss would like this tool as a powerBI dashboard for various reasons.

So, i need to make a dashboard with a lot (maybe 20-40) rows where the user can input some data, just a few fields for each row, and i then do some calculation and create a nice looking dashboard and visuals based on that. 

My question is if there is a way for me to somehow embed a live excel sheet into power bi, where the user can input data and the report will respond based on that data. Basically a little mini excel sheet just for the input data. Or something to that effect.

Right now i'm trying to solve my way out of it with a lot of parameters and slicers and measures, and while it works pretty well it's a lot of work, a lot of measures and parameters and slicers, just to replicate what takes me 5 minutes to do in excel. Is there a better way to do mass user input in powerBI? I thought about having an excel sheet just linked to the dashboard where i load data from, but i want the tool to be effecient and responsive. No long refresh times, no multiple tabs open (otherwise i feel like i should just build the whole thing in excel then, i dont want the dashboard to just be cumbersome, but to be a natural extention of the excel input). And also multiple users need to be able to use it at the same time, meaning i can't just point to a single excel sheet somewhere anyways.

I hope i explained everything alright. And i hope there's a way to do this, i've started looking and some power app stuff or whatever, but i'm not really familiar with it, and i just want to know if what i want is possible, and what the best way to go about it is. At least before i make 50 parameters with a slicer each and 100 measures to try and "powerBi" myself out of this excel problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JohnCavil ,

I will write on this post the reference to the other one and mark this as the correct answer ok?

Check post below for correct answer.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Excel-style-input-in-PowerBI/m-p/1202164

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @JohnCavil ,

Believe this post is duplicated with the one below can you please delete it.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Excel-style-input-in-PowerBI/m-p/1202164

Thanks

Regards

Miguel Félix

Yea, how do i do that though? Cant find where to do it.

On the top of the post select the Topic Options -> Delete Topic.

MFelix_0-1594120082100.png

Regards

Miguel Félix

The option isn't there for me. That's why i didn't delete it when i double posted earlier too. I'm missing the two top options in your dropdown.

Hi @JohnCavil ,

I will write on this post the reference to the other one and mark this as the correct answer ok?

Check post below for correct answer.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.