Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tinadouglass51
Advocate I
Advocate I

Excel live connect to analysis services

Hi, 

We have power bi sales reporting dashboards/reports and are using the cube/model to live connect in excel.  

What have others done to share these excel reports with sales people in the business and distributed changes to reports as they are needed? The excel reports are currently stored in Sharepoint.

Tina

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @tinadouglass51 

For your case, you 'd better share the dataset with others directly or share the report/dashboards.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-share

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-datasets-build-permissions

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
edhans
Super User
Super User

why wouldn't you share the Power BI reports? Putting Excel into the mix can cause another point of failure, security issues, etc.

I guess the question is, why are you using Excel to share Power BI cubes?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

We have a consultant that built this before i was hired and my understanding is it was due to performance issues using Power BI (and maybe a bit of the comfort feeling of excel with the business).  They still use the dashboards for higher level analysis and KPI's.

Get that company on board with Power BI. I've used Power BI extensively in a small/medium sized business environment and have seen FAR MORE STABILITY in Power BI than anything in Excel using Power Query and Power Pivot. I am constantly moving solutions I've created in Excel to Power BI so it is automated and stable.

THen use  the Analyze in Excel connector for those solutions that must have Excel as an end-point. Like printing data to PDF - something Power Pivot and Excel are better at than Power BI is.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.