Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jkraush1
Frequent Visitor

Excel Worksheet Automatic Update in Desktop?

Does PowerBI Desktop have any functionality that would allow automatic (or scheduled) data refresh when working with data imported from an excel workbook? If so, how would I set that up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jkraush1,

Currently there is such an functionality to schedule data refresh in Power BI desktop. 
Schedule refresh would be available in Power BI services. You could configure gateway for data source (Excel file). Alternatively, you could upload your local Excel file to Ondrive or SharePoint.

Reference: Data refresh in Power BI

In addition, here is an idea, you could click to vote it up:

Auto refresh data in Power BI desktop

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jkraush1,

Currently there is such an functionality to schedule data refresh in Power BI desktop. 
Schedule refresh would be available in Power BI services. You could configure gateway for data source (Excel file). Alternatively, you could upload your local Excel file to Ondrive or SharePoint.

Reference: Data refresh in Power BI

In addition, here is an idea, you could click to vote it up:

Auto refresh data in Power BI desktop

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Here's some information on the On Premiss Gateway.  It can be set-up for regular data refreshes.  There's several YouTube videos about setting up and pulling your data thru the Gateway to ensure it refreshes.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

Does this connect from excel to desktop though? I know how to connect from desktop to main powerBI using this, I am trying to set up automatic or scheduled refresh on powerBI desktop reading from excel.

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I've not used it this way personally, but the articles i've seen and read make it sound simple...  Hope thi helps, FOrrest

OneDrive or OneDrive for Business. What’s the difference?

If you have both a personal OneDrive and OneDrive for Business, it’s recommended you keep any files you want to import into Power BI in OneDrive for Business. Here’s why: You likely use two different accounts to sign into them.

Connecting to OneDrive for Business in Power BI is typically seamless because the same account you use to sign into Power BI with is often the same account used to sign into OneDrive for Business. But, with personal OneDrive, you likely sign in with a different Microsoft account.

When you sign in with your Microsoft account, be sure to select Keep me signed in. Power BI can then synchronize any updates you make in the file in Power BI Desktop with datasets in Power BI

If you make changes to your file on OneDrive that cannot be synchronized with the dataset or reports in Power BI, because your Microsoft account credentials might have changed, you’ll need to connect to and import your file again from your personal OneDrive.

Options for connecting to Excel file

When you connect to an Excel workbook in OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, you’ll have two options on how to get what’s in your workbook into Power BI.

Import Excel data into Power BI – When you import an Excel workbook from your OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online, it works as described above.

Connect, Manage, and View Excel in Power BI – When using this option, you create a connection from Power BI right to your workbook on OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online.

When you connect to an Excel workbook this way, a dataset is not created in Power BI. However, the workbook will appear in the Power BI service under Reports with an Excel icon next to the name. Unlike with Excel Online, when you connect to your workbook from Power BI, if your workbook has connections to external data sources that load data into the Excel data model, you can setup a refresh schedule.

When you setup a refresh schedule this way, the only difference is refreshed data goes into the workbook’s data model on OneDrive, or SharePoint Online, rather than a dataset in Power BI.

How do I make sure data is loaded to the Excel data model?

When you use Power Query (Get & Transform data in Excel 2016) to connect to a data source, you have several options where to load the data. To make sure you load data into the data model, you must select the Add this data to the Data Model option in the Load To dialog box.

Note:

The images here show Excel 2016.

In Navigator, click Load To…

Or, If you click Edit in Navigator, you’ll open the Query Editor. There you can click Close & Load To….

Then in Load To, make sure you select Add this data to the Data Model.

What if I use Get External Data in Power Pivot?

No problem. Whenever you use Power Pivot to connect to and query data from an on-premises or online data source, the data is automatically loaded to the data model.

How do I schedule refresh?

When you setup a refresh schedule, Power BI will connect directly to the data sources using connection information and credentials in the dataset to query for updated data, then load the updated data into the dataset. Any visualizations in reports and dashboards based on that dataset in the Power BI service are also updated.

For details on how to setup schedule refresh, see Configure Schedule Refresh.

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.