Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excel Power Pivot. Related tables, pivot table repeats all row records

I have two tables that are connected by "Name." "People List" is a unique list of people, then "Responsibility" is accounts that they have ownership of:

KTxPDp6

Both tables are connected by "Name"

yadSfwP

I need to organize it within a pivot table so that the "Name" comes from People table, and "Customer" from the Ownership list.

The problem that I'm experiencing is that when I drop these into the "rows" on my pivot table, account names repeat for each person.

1NqXUBU

How do I fix this so that only the assigned customers are visible for their respective people?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There's probably an elegant way to fix but my first thought is to add an isblank() check in an if statement.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
itchyeyeballs
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

What have you got in the values section of the pivot?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Currently, nothing.

If you drop in name from your ownership table the extra rows should go away
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm, it works, but in the true data I have a dozen measures that I drop in the data. It keeps repeating the customer name. I guess it's due to custom filters I have in some measures?

Yes that can be an issue, are you using a function like all() in your measures? That can force results to be shown.

Can you share the Dax you are using in your measures?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm, found one that's causing this. When I divide two measures, then subtract 1 from the result, it starts showing every customer. Elaborate measure is below, but even if I reduce it to 

DIVIDE([ADS SALES], [(PY) ADS SALES], 0) - 1

it will create this behaviour of repeating customer names. If I only do the division, relationships work as expected.

=VAR ADS = DIVIDE([ADS SALES], [(PY) ADS SALES], 0)

RETURN
IF( OR( [(CY) SALES] <> 0, [(PY) SALES] <> 0 ),

// corner case: if PY or CY is 0, then ADS will end up 0, but you want to capture growth,
  // which could be either -100%, or +100%
  IF( AND( [VARIANCE $ (SALES)] <> 0, ADS = 0), 
    [VARIANCE $ (SALES)] / ABS([VARIANCE $ (SALES)]),

// not a corner case
    ADS - 1
  ),
)

Try replacing the 0 in divide function with blank() you don't need to specify 0 anyway as that's the default I think.

Edit - the minus 1 will likely produce a result for every possible combination and probably force a row to appear for each.

Blank - 1 = -1 (I think)
Anonymous
Not applicable

That seems to be the exact issue. Is there anything I can do to fix that? 

There's probably an elegant way to fix but my first thought is to add an isblank() check in an if statement.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors