Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jkaelin
Resolver I
Resolver I

Excel Power BI data connector (very slow)

Good afternoon,

I have created a Power BI report and published it to my workspace.  I use the Power BI Publisher for Excel to connect to the data model.  However, selecting slicers & other items is extremely slow (20-30 secounds per change). 

Does anyone know if any performance tips or suggestions?  I couldn't find much reading other forums as there seems to be little on this topic.

Thank you!

James 

4 REPLIES 4
Hakim

Hi,

I'm also having this problem with my PBI data model when I connect to the Dataset from Excel.

Would really appreciate it if anyone can share their experience and how they manage it.

I think there are 2 issues which I have identified:

1. It always try to connect to the datasource and the timeout is quite short (around 15 min) and this always takes around 30 seconds
  2. Whenever I try to pull down the slicer or add a new measure/Dimension to the pivot, the running OLAP query also takes 10-30 second (EVERYTIME) so it takes quite a bit of time to create report that I need.

Hi

Many new solutions are now available to connect data from different sources to Power BI. For instance, BI Publisher Connector, a robust tool that helps users directly connect Power BI to Oracle data models.

This eliminates the need for time-consuming process of extracting data to Excel. Within minutes, you can visualize data in Power BI and create interactive reports, saving time and money.

Similarly, there are other connectors available for exporting data to Power BI in shorter time and lesser effort than manual Excel extracts & writing queries. And most of them will have security policies in place to ensure your data is protected. 

Hope this was useful. 

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jkaelin

How about the size of your pbix file?

As i known, if your pbix is large or has a complex model, it may be slow when interactiving.

From the view of Power BI, I would like to recommend you to read this article about how to build fast and reliable reports in Power BI.

Additionally, I have found an article how to get data from Power BI into an excel table with better performance.

Hope these all give some helpful ideas.

Best Regards

Maggie

The size of the .pbix file is 192mb.  The model is based off of "PowerPivotPro" and their cascading income statement data model.  So it's not the perfect star model but I'm not under the impression it's poorly modeled.  

Thank you for the two articles.  I guess I'm in a conundrum because it doesn't seem many other users experience this type of poor performance.  Maybe my model is too big?  It's got two fact tables of 7M records & another 3M records.

Thank you,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors