Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johnnyboy_175
Frequent Visitor

Excel Plugin - Cannot connect to Dataset - Web Service Failed

Hello,

When trying to connect to a data set within the excel plugin for power bi, I get the error "Failed to Retrieve a List of Groups - request to a web server failed'.

I have also done this many times before with no error. I installed the latest updates for excel in power bi.

I am also able to select the app within the power bi portal, analyse in excel and it works fine, not sure why it stopped working the other way.

Is it to do with permissions?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thanks for the replies guys and gals.

I had to log a ticket with the microsoft team, they advised me that the 'Analyse Excel' function within the power BI tab in excel is no longer functional as of the May 2020 update.

A work around is:
Go to https://app.powerbi.com/
Open your App
Select the '3 dots' next to subscribe at the top right of screen of your app page
Select 'Analyze in Excel'
This now gives you essentially the same fucntion as the tab from excel.

Cheers

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Atticus

Same with mine, just noticed it today while preparing my Dashboard for July

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @johnnyboy_175 ,

I'd like to suggest you to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay Wang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Hi,

I've started to get the same exact issue today out of nowhere.  This worked for me previously all the time without any issues.  Does anyone know the fix?

Thanks for the replies guys and gals.

I had to log a ticket with the microsoft team, they advised me that the 'Analyse Excel' function within the power BI tab in excel is no longer functional as of the May 2020 update.

A work around is:
Go to https://app.powerbi.com/
Open your App
Select the '3 dots' next to subscribe at the top right of screen of your app page
Select 'Analyze in Excel'
This now gives you essentially the same fucntion as the tab from excel.

Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.