Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adoster
Resolver I
Resolver I

Excel Import with added Text Value results in blank values "error"

Hello,

I have an existing imported spreadsheet using column A as a primary key

Column AColumn B
33533A
33140B
33141C
33510D

When I add a new ROW that contains a TEXT character I get the following message upon refresh

"Column ‘Column A' in Table 'Table_Name' contains blank values and this is not allowed for columns on the one side of a many-to-one relationship or for columns that are used as the primary key of a table."

CodeDescription
33533A
33140B
33141C
33510D
C3211E

The cells in Excel are "General" in format but I have tried changing to text in both Power BI and Excel to try and bypass the error.

Unsure what the issue is.

Thanks for any assistance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
adoster
Resolver I
Resolver I

Found a solution: This error was thrown because Power BI does not import the cell format as "text" from Excel. You have to manually change the table format in Power BI to text to match the related table.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
adoster
Resolver I
Resolver I

Found a solution: This error was thrown because Power BI does not import the cell format as "text" from Excel. You have to manually change the table format in Power BI to text to match the related table.

ribisht17
Super User
Super User

Hello,

I am not sure if the link you sent relates?

I do not have null values in my spreadsheet. It simply won't refresh the spreadsheet in Power BI when I add a new row that contains a character in the primary key field.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.