Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

asjones
Helper IV
Helper IV

Excel Import Sometiems Finds Headers and Sometimes Just does Column1 Column2....

I have an Excel data file with several diffent sheets. Each sheet has a header row starting at A1 and going across B2, C2....

When I import the Excle file (sheets) into Power BI desktop most of the sheets import correctly with first row treated as a header in PBI. However some of the sheets import creating new header rows (Column1, Column2, Column 3, .... )

I can't figure out any real differenes in the sheets why some would import one and some would import the other. I know I can fix this by promoting the first row in the Query Editor. HOWEVER, my qustion is WHY is Power BI importing some sheets in the file with the proper headersand some not?

Would really like to fix the root of the issue and not work around the problem with Query Editor

Any and all idesa would be appreciated.

thanks

Alan

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @asjones,

I‘m afraid that this should be identified by a mechanism inside the power bi. This is hard to say the specific logic. I'm not very clear either.

Hope others could help you.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Here is a link to the Excel file that has trouble importing on one sheet.  The sheet Client Informatoin has the headers Column1, Column2,....  vs all the others improt clean.

https://heifer-my.sharepoint.com/:x:/g/personal/asjones_heifer_org/Eez63HOn7u1MhtSOZ82roboBUn9U7F1rT...

Any ideas?

this is a clean faked version of my data.

@v-piga-msft, does that file help to see the issue?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.