Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

suvratrai
Advocate II
Advocate II

Excel Hierarchy Data Import

Hi Team,

I have a requirement where i need to import an Excel file or SmartSheet into PowerBI desktop.

The dataset has a hierarchy setup on one of the columns which is getting imported as members of one single column when i try to import this data into Power BI Desktop.

Here is the image: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsC5PgabP0U9gWvqQKdjaF7VdqY6?e=UDUL1w

I would like to break this excel column in RED BOX into different columns as per the members of the hierarchy given on the excel data.

If Power BI Desktop will not support this, can anyone suggest any workarounds for this use case?

Thanks in advance!

Suvrat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@suvratrai ,

Do you mean you want to achieve sevaral columns like [Main Category], [Second level Category], [Thrid level Category] and etc in the columns section in matrix visual, right?

If that's what you want to achieve, you can click query editor-> transform and click on the hierarchy columns above, then click unpivot columns.

After applied, you can create a matrix visual and then drag the new generated "value" column into column section.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@suvratrai ,

Do you mean you want to achieve sevaral columns like [Main Category], [Second level Category], [Thrid level Category] and etc in the columns section in matrix visual, right?

If that's what you want to achieve, you can click query editor-> transform and click on the hierarchy columns above, then click unpivot columns.

After applied, you can create a matrix visual and then drag the new generated "value" column into column section.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.