Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Excel File source skipping 1 column

Hi Gurus!!!

I am facing a weird situation. 

I am creating a xlsx file from SAP BOBJ platform (Webi scheduling or Publication for people knowing this kind of environment). 

When I open the file with Excel, I have all what I want: all my columns are here.

Now, I create a source in my PBI file, and I am missing the last column...I have no idea why...

If I change the file, by changing for example the content of one cell, then, PBI is able to see all the columns (or at least what I want...it skips automatically the 1st column which is empty...not very clean, but let's assume it makes sense....)

I have exactly the same behviour using dataflows...I tried to modifiy the source file (webi document) to have one less column in the file, same issue...

I will try to have the first column skipped at the Excel file generation, but so far I don't get why it does not read the excel document....

Any idea ?

PY

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Paul

Thanks for the feedback! As I thought this was coming from the way PBI was reading the file, I searched if someone had the same issue but did not find any solution.

So got back to my SAP background and check OSS notes...I was lucky with excalty that problem description.

So, people should upgrade the BI platform to BI 4.2 SP7 Patch 500 as per OSS note 2853508

But, as applying a patch is not necessary easy, the work around is to add a "dummy"column at the end of the table and then, PBI will take all the columns excep the last one...

PY

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forget about that....

Issue in SAP Business Object 4.2 SP7....

Reference for correction is SAP OSS note 2853508 

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

I haven't experienced this myslef, but it seems you are not alone (there was a thread recently about a similar issue).

As for solutions... is the data within the page formatted as a table? (select all cells and ctrl +t).

If the data is in a table within Excel, Power Bi will recognise the table (as an entity) and you can select it in the import process. 

Does that help?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Paul

Thanks for the feedback! As I thought this was coming from the way PBI was reading the file, I searched if someone had the same issue but did not find any solution.

So got back to my SAP background and check OSS notes...I was lucky with excalty that problem description.

So, people should upgrade the BI platform to BI 4.2 SP7 Patch 500 as per OSS note 2853508

But, as applying a patch is not necessary easy, the work around is to add a "dummy"column at the end of the table and then, PBI will take all the columns excep the last one...

PY

@Anonymous 

Thanks for the update and the pointer towards the SAP notes. Can we take this as a solution? if so, can you mark your last post as a solution since it will help others find the solution when searching...

Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Paul!

Just did the update with also a workaround in it...

PY

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.