Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rsyashwini
Helper I
Helper I

Excel Data source - Restricted number of columns

My excel data source has 35 columns but I am interested to import only about 6 column required for reporting. 

How do I achieve this ?

Couple of options :

1) create a copy of sheet in excel source with only required columns . 

However I do not own this and I am unsure about data owner's accommodating requests. 

2) Load full sheet and edit using power query editor to remove unwanted columns.

Question : Does it affect performance to load bulky file and perform number of edits ?

I am looking for option to restrict number of column during source file load itself.

5 REPLIES 5
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@rsyashwini when you import your data in powerquery. You can choose columns that you wish to import into your powerbi dataset. In powerquery window, you will get optionto Choose Columns as below:

negi007_0-1601960374356.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

sachin-power-21
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

So even before loading the columns you can transform the data using Power query which will not effect the performance as this transform will come before your load step and you can select the 6 columns required.

Hi @sachin-power-21 . This did not work for me. It still loads entire dataset and then removes columns. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rsyashwini ,  One way is you load all columns and select what you want to keep and remove others.

If you create a copy with less column that can be faster way

As of now , I am left with this option only. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.