Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Eric
Advocate I
Advocate I

Excel Connect to PowerBi Data Converts Dates to Text

I'm connecting to PowerBi data using the Analyze in Excel add-in but when I add Dates to a PivotTable they show up as text even though they are clearly defined as dates in PowerBi.  Anyone know how to overcome this issue?

I am not adding the data to the data model and I am not using PowerPivot.  I am simply connecting to the OLAP data using the PowerBi add-in for Excel.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Eric

By default, all dates will be evaluated as text when "connect live" to OLAP data source. 

Are you connecting OLAP source with live connection from Power BI? Can you share some screenshots?

Regards,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
IuriMan
Regular Visitor

I have the have issue and it was not yet resolved.

I have the same issue. 

v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@Eric

By default, all dates will be evaluated as text when "connect live" to OLAP data source. 

Are you connecting OLAP source with live connection from Power BI? Can you share some screenshots?

Regards,

Hi Simon,

Untitled.png

Is this problem going to be fixed?

Is there any workaround?

Thanks

Simon, thanks for the response.  Yes, I am connecting live to the PowerBI service (OLAP) which dramatically streamlines my Excel models and makes them much more responsive than having huge datasets in the Excel data model. 

But, the date conversion issue is a real nuisance.  To me, it makes absolutely no sense for dates to be converted to text by default.  Can this be changed?  Is there a switch setting somewhere to override the default setting?

Best regards,

Eric

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.